Monasterio de Santa MarÃa de Meira
The monastery Meira (Santa María de Meira ) is a former Cistercian abbey in Galicia in Spain. It is in Concello Meira in the same comarca of the province of Lugo approximately 34 km north- north-east of Lugo on the main road (N 640 ) to Castropol, near the origin of the Rio Miño.
The Cistercian monastery was probably founded in 1143 as a daughter house of Clairvaux Abbey Primary. It received foundations of the kings Alfonso VII, Ferdinand II and Alfonso IX .. In 1515 it joined the Castilian Cistercian Congregation. In the 17th century a higher philosophical school was built with him. The monastery abolition of government Mendizábal 1835 brought the end of the monastery. The Church (now the parish church ) has been a National Monument in 1931.
Buildings and plant
The construction of the built in the style of Burgundian Romanesque and preserved in its original form church with a large rosette and an arched portal in the west front was begun around 1185. In 1258 the church was consecrated. The construction follows the bernhardi African plan substantially. However, it has a small tower on the south side of the facade. The nave has three aisles, each with nine yokes with a conical buoy in the nave and cross vaults in the aisles. At the transept close to the east each two side chapels. The main choir is semi-circular closed.
From the cloister vault approaches are on the south side of the church are still visible. West of the church are two wings of another court of the 16th century, which are used by the community.