Monastery of Santa MarÃa la Real of Oseira
Oseira Monastery ( Monasterio de Santa María a Real de Oseira; Spanish: Santa Maria la Real de Osera; Ursaria ) is a former Cistercian abbey approximately 35 km northwest of Ourense ( Orense ) in the municipality of San Cristovo de Cea in Spain's autonomous region of Galicia.
The provided on a 1131 by Alfonso VII of León and Castile in 1137 for hermits site founded by the monks García, Diego, Juan and Pedro monastery is considered as a direct branch monastery of Clairvaux Abbey (also of the opinion it is represented, however, that the filiation of the monastery of Citeaux belongs ). There followed in 1141 the Cistercian order. 1144 joined the Cologne-born saint Wardo ( Famiano ) in the monastery. With the help of the abbot Don Fernando Yáñez which decimated by the attack of the Moors in 1195 Alcobaça Monastery, the last monastery was founded by Bernard of Clairvaux in 1153, was revived before his death. The Abbot Lorenzo ( 1205-1233 ) was abbot of Clairvaux. Oseira is considered the mother monastery of Kloster Júnias in Portugal ( 1248 ), but which never made it to the rank of an abbey. 1513 was the monastery in coming, but resigned in 1545 the Castilian Cistercian Congregation and recovered. In 1552 it hit a major fire. On the initiative of the abbot Fray Marcos del Barrio, it was rebuilt. In 1835, the monks left the monastery in the train cancellation by the government Mendizábal the monastery. In 1929 the monastery of Trappist monks of Notre -Dame-des Neiges was occupied again. These groups have established the partially ruined monastery again.
Buildings and plant
The monastery is whether their size also called the Escorial Galicia.
The cross-shaped siebenjochige monastery church with flaring transept and ambulatory was started in early Gothic style around 1200 and consecrated in 1239. The nave is surmounted by a conical buoy with one window for each yoke on both sides. The narrow aisles are significantly lower than the nave, the east also vaulted with a conical buoy, in the west with ribbed vaults. In the West, a late Gothic gallery is installed. The facade of the north aisle has a rosette. After a fire, including the courts Patio de los Caballeros and the Patio de los were in 1700 and the façade of the church with twin spiers, altars and large parts of the monastery, medallones designed in the Baroque style. The tetrastyle chapter house with twisted palmettes columns dating from the period around 1600. From the Renaissance, the sacristy, the kitchen, the stairs and the Bishop Zinnenhof have been preserved.