Template: Infobox city in Portugal / Maintenance / old parameter despite LAU
Template: Infobox Municipio / Maintenance / Administration Name is empty
Template: Infobox Municipio / maintenance / management address is empty
Template: Infobox city in Portugal / Maintenance / No Freguesia
Template: Infobox city in Portugal / Maintenance / card is blank Template: Infobox city in Portugal / Maintenance / old parameter despite LAU
Template: Infobox city in Portugal / Maintenance / Height is empty Template: Infobox city in Portugal / Maintenance / Postal Code is empty Template: Infobox city in Portugal / Maintenance / mayor is empty
Template: Infobox city in Portugal / maintenance / road is empty
Template: Infobox city in Portugal / maintenance / management location is empty Template: Infobox city in Portugal / Maintenance / Web page is blank Montemor -o -Novo is a town of the Alentejo region in Portugal. The city is located about 80 km east of the capital Lisbon and about 30 km west of the Unesco city of Évora. Southwest is the nature area Serra de Monfurado. The church holiday is celebrated by John of God March 8.
- 3.1 Traffic
- 3.2 Media
- 4.1 Structures
- 6.1 associations
Montemor -o -Novo received his administrative rights ( " foral " ) for the first time by King Sancho I in 1203, renewed in 1503 in the management of renewals by King Manuel I. Sancho called the conquered from the Moors town of Montemar -o -Novo in contrast for now Montemor -o -Velho said northerly Montemor.
The city resisted the French invasion of 1808 troops under Andoche Junot. In 1834 it housed the army command of the troops of Saldanha in Miguelistenkrieg, and after the Carnation Revolution of 1974, the new rules for community - democratization ( Poder Local Democrático ) and land reform have been here more smoothly implemented, as in other places, especially in the north of the country. The city charter was Montemor -o -Novo in 1988.
Montemor -o -Novo is the seat of the homonymous district. The neighboring districts are (clockwise starting from the north ): Coruche, Arraiolos, Évora, Viana do Alentejo, Alcacer do Sal, Vendas Novas and Montijo.
The following parishes ( freguesias ) are in Montemor -o -Novo district:
- Foros de Vale de Figueira
- Nossa Senhora da Vila
- Nossa Senhora do Bispo
- Santiago do Escoural
- São Cristóvão
- Italy Italy: Pontedera
- Portugal: Marinha Grande
- Portugal: Fundão
- Cape Verde Cape Verde: Tarrafal ( cooperation agreements)
- Portugal: Vila Real de Santo António ( in initiation )
Economy and infrastructure
The regional economy is dominated by agriculture, forestry and livestock. The main production goods are wine, olive oil, cork and honey. The cultivation of the cork oak and livestock farms have as Korkverarbeiter and leather manufacturer located.
There are the following transport links:
- 2 km to the motorway A6/IP7/E90 " Autoestrada Marateca - Caia ", which is the main east-west link between Lisbon and Spain.
Two federal roads pass through the city:
- The Federal N4 road runs from the West coming from Montijo, further northwest to Elvas to move around in the A6 motorway close to the Spanish border.
- From the north of Caldas da Rainha (above Lisbon ), the N114 runs through the village to Évora.
- The connector DC Ramal de Montemor -o -Novo by the Portuguese iron rooster company CP was decommissioned in 1988. Only the old station still remembers the time when Montemor -a- Novo was tied to the railway line Linha do Alentejo. Today passengers must because Gadanha or drive to the nearest station of the Linha do Alentejo to Torre after its closure in about 25 kilometers away Vendas Novas, to take a train to Lisbon and Beja.
Folha de Montemor: Semi- monthly newspaper, edition of 1800
Culture and sights
- Igreja do Calvário
- John of God Convent ( Convento de São João de Deus ) with the City Library and Gallery and the historical archive and the crypt of Saint John of God.
- Misericordia Church ( Igreja da Misericordia ): Worth the entrance portal in Manueline style, the side altars from the 17th century and the pipe organ from the 18th century by the Italian master D. Pascoal Caetano Olduvini.
- Monastery of St. Domingo ( Convento of São Domingo ) with the Archaeological Museum.
- Monastery Saudação ( Convento da Saudação ): Worth the tiles in the entrance area from the year 1651, and the cloister.
- Castle Montemor -o -Novo to the guard house and the bell tower at the entrance. The northern castle walls are completely intact.
- City park and public swimming pool.
- Diogo de Azambuja (1432-1518), navigator and explorer.
- John of God (1495-1550), actually João Ciudad Duarte: saint, founder of the Order of the Brothers of Charity.
- Almeida Faria ( born 1943 ), writer
- Luis Manuel Capoulas Santos ( born 1951 ), politician
- Hugo Filipe da Silva Cunha (1977-2005), football player.