The municipality covers 29 km ². It lies about 20 km east of Arezzo and 80 km southeast of Florence in the Tiberina Valley, in the climatic classification of Italian communities in the zone E, 2271 GR / G. The largest rivers in the municipality are the Padonchia (8 km in the municipality ) and the Cerfone ( 7 km).
The districts include Borgacciano, Fonaco, Le Ville, Padonchia, Pianezze, Pocaia and Ripoli.
For the first time documented is the place in 1095th After the Battle of Anghiari in 1440 the place came under the rule of the Republic of Florence and was thus later incorporated into the Duchy of Tuscany. The name derives from the Latin mons Hercules.
- Cappella di Santa Maria di Momentana, was established here in 1455, the fresco of the Madonna del Parto by Piero della Francesca, which was demolished in 1911 and is now located in the eponymous museum.
- Museo della Madonna del Parto ( with the same name Fresco ).
- Founded Chiesa di San Simeone, 1230.