Motherwell ( Tobar na Mathar Gaelic ) is a town in Scotland with 30 311 inhabitants ( 2001). It is located south-east of Glasgow in North Lanarkshire. Previously Motherwell was the main site for steel production in Scotland, which Motherwell nicknamed " Steelopolis " earned. In the 1980s and 1990s, however, the steel production collapsed gradually, which Motherwell so far could not recover properly and today has one of the highest unemployment rates in Scotland.
Motherwell is the seat of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Motherwell. Episcopal church is the Cathedral of Our Lady of Good Aid.
- Germany Schweinfurt in Bavaria ( Germany ) is twinned with Motherwell.
Sons and daughters of the town
- Clare Adamson (born 1967 ), politician
- Duncan Black (1908-1991), economist
- Tommy Gemmell ( born 1943 ), former national football player and coach
- Christopher Harvie ( born 1944 ), historian and politician
- Graeme Holmes ( born 1984 ), football player
- David Langton (1912-1994), actor
- Katie Leung (* 1987), actress
- Mark Reynolds (* 1987), football player
- Ian St. John ( born 1938 ), former national football player and coach
- Ann Taylor ( b. 1947 ), politician
- Doogie White ( born 1960 ), singer