MPEG -21 is a standard for the creation, production and release of and trade with multimedia contents, which was defined by the Moving Picture Experts Group, MPEG shortly. It takes all the work flow involved - from producers to consumers - together and should thus provide for a standardized and flexible cooperation.
- Unification of multimedia traffic
- Standardization of all components
- Efficient and automated interoperability between multimedia service providers
- Integration of existing, more complex technologies into an overall system (eg Digital Rights Management)
- Creation of a system and platform independent environment for the exchange and use of media content