MSNBC ( Microsoft / National Broadcasting Company) is an American news channel based in New York City. He went on air on 15 July 1996 and is a joint venture between NBC Universal and Microsoft. The current President and thus the principal in charge of the station since 2008, Phil Griffin.


Precursor of MSNBC was the transmitter America 's Talking, which was founded on 4 July 1994 as an offshoot of economic CNBC. Then chief of the station was later appointed director of CNBC and Fox News Channel, Roger Ailes. The program of America 's Talking consisted mostly of talk shows and advice programs. Because of the low success rate of the sender chose NBC Universal, tune in the station on 15 July 1996. On the same TV was at the same time MSNBC, a joint venture between NBC Universal and Microsoft on the air.

Since its launch succeeded MSNBC to become popular in the United States. The transmitter tries to reach his audience with unconventional, easy -to-understand messages. MSNBC is America's third-largest news broadcaster with over 20 offices in the U.S. and ten other offices worldwide. Today, NBC Universal holds 82 percent of the transmitter, the remaining 18 percent include Microsoft.

Under the name ZDF.MSNBC the Second German Television (ZDF ) entertained between 1997 and 2001 under the direction of Dirk Max Johns, a far-reaching cooperation with MSNBC, from which emerged among other things, today's Internet site of today's broadcast. ZDF.MSNBC produced one of the first pure Internet news brands in the markets.

On increasing political attacks by Glenn Beck of the Fox News Channel, the face and voice of the Tea Party movement, the Obama administration, the Democratic Party and the liberal establishment MSNBC counters with political talk shows from left liberals. The station sees itself as " the scene for Progressive ".


The weekday program consists inter alia of the following programs:

  • First Look: newscast from 5 until 5:30 clock EST Christina Brown
  • Way Too Early with Willie Spirit: news program 5:30 bis 6 clock EST with Willie Spirit
  • Morning Joe: Morning Show 6-9 EST clock with Joe Scarborough, Mika Brzezinski and Willie Spirit
  • MSNBC Live: General newscast with reports, breaking news, live broadcasts, weather and stock market updates, hosted by different presenters 10-13 clock, as well as 14 to 16 clock EST
  • Hardball with Chris Matthews: Opinion broadcast on mainly domestic issues 17-18 clock EST, moderated by Chris Matthews, is repeated at 19 and 24 clock EST
  • The Ed Show: opinion shipment by 18 clock EST with interviews and commentary by Ed Schultz
  • Countdown with Keith Olbermann: Daily, primarily domestic political messages in a " countdown " summarized and commented on by Keith Olbermann, runs by 20 clock EST and is repeated by 22 clock EST
  • The Rachel Maddow Show: Daily news, interviews and commentaries on domestic issues of Rachel Maddow will be sent by 21 clock EST and repeated by 23 clock EST

On weekends, the program consists, inter alia, of the following programs:

  • MSNBC Documentaries: various documentation
  • MSNBC Live: General newscast with reports, breaking news, live broadcasts, weather and stock market updates, hosted by different presenters 7-12 clock EST Saturdays, 8 to 12 clock EST Sundays
  • Meet the Press: repetition of the broadcast of NBC Sunday morning talk show, hosted by David Gregory, Sundays 14-15 clock EST


MSNBC can be received in the U.S. cable television or satellite provider Dish Network and DirecTV. In Europe, the transmitter was at times seen at weekends or at night on CNBC Europe. Currently there MSNBC has no regular windows; in special events - example Iraq war - does CNBC Europe program. Also on American holidays MSNBC is occasionally seen on CNBC Europe.

In Europe, you can see the original U.S. version of MSNBC satellite TV on Telstar 12, 15 ° W, 11.531 GHz, H, SR 3197, FEC 7/8 received. In addition to a 50 cm satellite antenna is further a receiver or TV for that dominates the American NTSC format. In addition, the U.S. version of MSNBC is transmitted via the digital platform Orbit Network.