Municipal Borough of Enfield
The Municipal Borough of Enfield was a district in the metropolitan area of the British capital London. It existed from 1850 to 1965 under various names and lay in the north- east of the former county of Middlesex.
Enfield was originally a civil parish in the Harde ( hundred ) Edmonton. 1850 is a local health council (local board of health ) was created with competencies in infrastructure. That was in 1875 an urban health district ( urban sanitary district ) with extended powers. 1894 reconstituted the health district as Urban District. This, in turn, received in 1955 the status of a municipal borough.
With the establishment of the administrative region of Greater London in 1965 arose from the merger of the Municipal Boroughs Edmonton, Enfield and Southgate the London Borough of Enfield.
The area was 12,400 acres ( 50.18 km ²). The census revealed the following population figures: