Murbach Abbey was a former Benedictine abbey famous in southern Alsace, in a valley at the foot of the Grand Ballon (French Grand Ballon ) in the Vosges. Murbach part of France and is located in the department of Haut-Rhin.
The Abbey in the village of Murbach, near the Alsatian community Guebwiller (German Gebweiler ), was founded in 727 by Saint Pirmin. Its territory once comprised three cities and 30 villages. The buildings, including the abbey church, one of the earliest domed Romanesque buildings were laid waste in 1789 by rebellious peasants, the abbey was dissolved thereafter.
Of the Romanesque abbey church, the St. Leger Church, only the transept with its two towers and the eastern part is obtained with just his final chorus. Where once the nave stood, now houses a cemetery.
Founder of the abbey was Count Eberhard, brother of the Duke Liutfrid ( Etichonen ). He entrusted 727 bishop Pirmin from the monastery of Reichenau in Lake Constance with the establishment of a monastic community. Pirmin resulted in the monastery Vivarius Peregrinorum (Latin hoard of wandering monks ), enter the Rule of St. Benedict.
After handed down to us by the chroniclers of the Murbacher Annals founding legend, the first Scottish monks established in the village of Bergholtz - down cell, but since they did not find the necessary silence there, they went further up into the valley, which is situated above Buhl, at the entrance the little valley of Murbach, at the site of Weihermatt. This place was then called Vivarium Peregrinorum ( pilgrim pond ). The term may be seen from the context of the writings of Cassiodorus, who had founded in the 6th century, the same name Monasterium Vivariense in Italy. As if he wanted to confirm this is one of the Murbacher library catalog some books of Cassiodorus.
Count Eberhard endowed the monastery of rich and gave him many privileges, including the free choice of the abbot. The monastery had to commit to its privileges regularly; it was just the Pope and the Emperor - after 1680 the French king - assumed. Murbach was placed under the patronage of St. Leger (French Saint Léger ), who had also been introduced in the 7th century in Burgundy, the Benedictine rule. The monastery played an important political role; then appointed Karl the Great in the years 782-783 itself to the secular abbot of the monastery (Pastor Murbacencis ). Around the year 850 Murbach was one of the intellectual centers of the Upper Rhine, the library at that time comprised some 340 theological, grammatical, and historical works. As so is also because of this monastery, a comprehensive library catalog of the 9th century, handed down from St. Gallen, Reichenau or Lorsch, though not in the original. The Murbacher library catalog from the 9th century is only a copy, dated from 1464, survived. This copy is now in Colmar.
At the same time the worldly goods of the abbey increased, thanks to many donations. Murbach owned property and rights in approximately 350 villages. Most were located in Alsace, in the dioceses of Strasbourg and Basel. There were buildings on the right bank of the Rhine and even in the Black Forest. For example, in 805 gave the Alemannic Noble Egilmar, Focholt, Wanbrecht and Nothicho their land and a church in today's Grißheim (villa Cressheim in pago Brisachgaginse ) to the monastery. In addition the Abbey acquired the area of Lucerne in Switzerland. The monastery also had a whole range of goods in the Palatinate, in the area of Worms and Mainz.
This first period ended in 936 with the invasion of Hungary in the Alsace. By the 13th century, the monastery recovered again and played an important role in the Alsace and the Upper Rhine history. 1178 was founded by Murbach from the city of Lucerne.
The monastery Murbach played a decisive role for the emerging family of Habsburg, last but not least they had received, as governors of Murbach extensive fief from the pin. These included the advocacy of the monastery Luzern, situated in Aargau farms in Pratteln, Augst, Möhlin, Schupfart, Wittnau and Gipf and situated in Breisgau murbachischen goods including, the farms in Bellingen, Bamlach, Schopfheim and the castle Rötteln.
In the 14th century, the monastery was gradually lost influence. 1543 Pope Paul III united. Murbach with the monastic cell in Lure (Haute -Saône ), then still Lüders (or Luders ) called. 1544 received the abbey by Emperor Charles V to mint money for the information obtained in their possession silver, the mint was in Guebwiller ( Gebweiler ). 1548, Emperor Ferdinand I of the abbey to the rank of prince Abbey with seat and vote in the Reichstag. From 1680 to 1789, the monastery fell into the tensions between the French King and the Empire. The Prince Abbot Friedrich Kasimir of Rathsamhausen ( Léger of Rathsamhausen ) was around the year 1759 to the Benedictine rule and converted the monastery into a noble knight pen. He moved the headquarters of the Abbey Guebwiller. 1789 ended the French Revolution and insurgent peasants, four years after the death of Rathsamhausen the history of the Abbey.
Coat of arms of the monastery Murbach
The coat of arms shows a black dog jumping on a white plate and Mitra as a crest. From the crest says in 1525 the poet Lienhart Ott:
" The pen Muorbach het a black dog The het vil already bitten "
List of abbots of the monastery Murbach
- Pirminius 727 (Owner)
- Romanus 727-751
- Soon Ebert 751-762
- Herbert 762-774
- Amicho 774-786
- Simpert, Bishop of Augsburg 786-792
- Charlemagne, lay abbot 792-793
- Agilmar ( Intermegilmer ) 793
- Geroch, Bishop of Eichstätt, 793-808 (?)
- Guntram, certified 811
- Sigismar ( Zikmund ), certified 829
- Iskar ( Isker ), 870 certified
- Friedrich, certified 876
- Nandbert, certified 910
- Abtsitz unoccupied by 926-959
- Landeloh 959-977?
- Beringer 977-988?
- Helmerich 988 -?
- Werner? -994
- Degenhard authenticated 1012-1025
- Eberhard 1026 -? ( Recumbent figure in the Abbey Church )
- Wolfrad, certified in 1049
- Ulrich of Lorsch, 1073-1075
- Samuel of Weissemburg 1080-1097
- Erlolf Bergholtz, Abbot of Fulda,? -1122
- Bertolf 1122-1149
- Egilolf von Erlach 1150-1162
- Konrad von Eschenbach authenticated by 1173-1186
- Widerolph 1187-1188
- Simbert II? -1149
- 1194-31. March 1216 Arnold of Frohnburg
- Hugo von Rothenburg, 1216-1236 built the castle Hugstein
- Albrecht von Frohnburg, Administrator 1237-1244
- Theobald of Faucolgney, 1244-1260
- Berthold of Steinbronn, 1260-1285
- Berchtold von Falkenstein 1286-1299
- Albrecht of Love Stone, 1299-1303
- Konrad von Stauffenberg cons Green from 1305-1334
- Konrad Wernher von Murhard, 1334-1343
- Heinrich von Schauenburg 1343-1353
- Rudolf von Wattenweiler 1387-1393
- William of Wasselnheim ( Wasselonne ) 1393-1428
- Peter of Ostein 1428-1434
- Dietrich of House 1434-1447
- Bartholomew of Andlau 1447-1476
- Walter Monk of Wilsberg 1489-1513
The user Flominator wants at this point or at a picture of this place: Basel Historical Museum. Theme: Coat glass painting of George of Masmünster If you want to help explain the instructions how to do it.
- George of Masmünster ( Masevaux ) 1513-1542 ( a crest - glass paintings from him for a plan of Hans Holbein the Younger in the Historical Museum Basel )
- Johann Ulrich von Raitenau 1570-1587
- Wolf Dietrich von Raitenau 1587
- ( Explains choice for not validly ) Gabriel Giel of greed Mountain 1587
- Andreas of Austria 1587-1600 (also Bishop of Constance and Brixen )
- Johann -Georg von Kalkenried 1600-1614
- Leopold of Austria 1614-1625 administrator (also Bishop of Passau and Strasbourg )
- Leopold Wilhelm of Austria 1626-1662 ( Bishop of Strasbourg and Passau)
- Columban of Andlau 1662 ( election is not legally declared )
- Karl Joseph of Austria 1662-1664
- Franz Egon of Fürstenberg - Heiligenberg 1664-1682 ( Bishop of Strasbourg)
- Felix Egon of Fürstenberg - Heiligenberg 1682-1686 (also a canon of Cologne)
- Columban of Andlau 1686 ( election need not be declared valid )
- Philipp Eberhard von Löwenstein -Wertheim -Rochefort 1686-1720
- Célestinus of Beroldingen - Gündel Hard 1720-1737
- Franz Armand de Rohan - Soubise 1737-1756 ( Bishop of Strasbourg)
- Friedrich Kasimir of Rathsamhausen 1756-1785
- Franz Anton von Andlau -Homburg 1785-1790 Ultimus Abbas