Autonomous Region (China)
Nanning ( Zhuang ): Namzningz / Namƨniŋƨ; (南宁 市/南宁 市, Nanning shì ) is the capital of the Autonomous Region Guangxi Zhuang Nationality in the south of the People 's Republic of China, with around 6.37 million inhabitants, of which almost 800,000 in the two inner city districts Qingxiu青 秀 区and Xingning兴 宁 区(as of 1 January 2004). The city is 160 km away from the border with Vietnam and as an industrial city ( petrochemical, metal processing, textile industry), the political and cultural center of the Autonomous Region. In Nanning over 30 different nationalities live.
The prefecture-level city of Nanning is made up of six districts and six counties:
- Municipality Qingxiu (青 秀 区), 872 km ², 440,000 inhabitants;
- Municipality Xingning (兴宁区), 751 km ², 260,000 inhabitants;
- City Jiangnan District (江南 区), 1154 km ², 360,000 inhabitants;
- Municipality Xixiangtang (西乡 塘 区), 1118 km ², approximately 660,000 inhabitants;
- Municipality Liangqing (良 庆 区), 1369 km ², 290,000 inhabitants;
- City Yongning (邕宁 区), 1295 km ², 320,000 inhabitants;
- Circle Wuming (武鸣 县), 3367 km ², 650,000 inhabitants;
- Circle Heng (横县), 3464 km ², 108,000 inhabitants;
- Circle Binyang (宾阳 县), 2314 km ², approximately 980,000 inhabitants;
- Circle Shanglin (上林县), 1876 km ², 460,000 inhabitants;
- Circle Long'an (隆安 县), 2264 km ², 370,000 inhabitants;
- Circle Mashan (马山县), 2345 km ², approximately 500,000 inhabitants.
The city has a long rich history and was already in the time of the Southern and Northern Dynasties a military stronghold. During the Yuan Dynasty Nanning received its present name ( " Southern Peace " ) and since 1914 it is the seat of the regional government, which was located in Guilin previously. In the 1950s Nanning became the capital of Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region of the minority. Since the 90s, Nanning booming similar to other cities in China. Especially the construction industry, this adds. In the south and east are entire neighborhoods, known as New Nanning, emerged. The increasingly open border traffic to Vietnam shows up in the streets of many Vietnamese companies and dealers to expand from Nanning from its sales network as China. In 2005, the Asian exhibition to economic development and cooperation was held in Nanning. Specially, a large park was created with exhibition halls. All the major Asian nations were represented there. ( inter alia: Japan, South Korea, Philippines and India)
Nanning is nestled in the green hills and clear lakes and rivers in a subtropical climate zone. In China, Nanning is known because of the vegetation as the "Green City".
The main attractions of the city are the People Park, the Nanhu Park, the museum and the botanical garden.
The Museum of the Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region, provides an insight into the history of various ethnic minorities.
In addition, here in June held Dragon Boat Festival is a special attraction for domestic and foreign tourists.
In October / November of each year, the Nanning International Folk Song Festival takes place, the fifth largest music and cultural festival in the PRC.
Nanning is very famous mainly because of its culinary offerings in China. The influence of Vietnamese cuisine and the use of special spices gives the food in Nanning a special touch.
People's Park Nanning
New buildings in Nanning
Thumb | View from the tallest building in the city
The city of Nanning houses the following colleges and universities:
- Foreign language high school Guangxi (Chinese广西 外国语 学院, pinyin Guangxi Waiguoyu Xueyuan );
- Guangxi University (Chinese广西 大学, Pinyin Guangxi Daxue ) founded in 1928;
- College of Traditional Chinese Medicine, Guangxi (Chinese广西 中 医学院, Pinyin Guangxi Zhongyi Xueyuan );
- Art College of Guangxi (Chinese广西 艺术 学院, pinyin Guangxi Yishu Xueyuan );
- Guangxi Medical University (Chinese广西 医科大学, Pinyin Guangxi Yike Daxue );
- Guangxi Nationalities University (Chinese广西 民族 大学, Pinyin Guangxi Minzu Daxue );
- Guangxi College of Education (Chinese广西 师范 学院, pinyin Guangxi Shifan Xueyuan ) founded in 1953.
Railway ( international)
In 1952 a railway line was opened from Nanning to the Vietnamese border, which was later extended to Hanoi. This line was closed again during the border war with Vietnam in 1979 and reactivated in the course of economic reform policies. The trains on the combined Normal-/Schmalspurbahn are an attraction for tourists. The journey takes about 12 hours. Daily runs a Chinese express train, which consists of a dining car, sleeping car with several four-bed compartments and generator and baggage car, to the south. The border with Vietnam is exceeded around 1:00 with a passport control. The next morning at about. 4 clock in the morning the train reached the Gia Lam station in Hanoi, where the standard gauge track ends. From here, passengers would have to go by bus, taxi or private vehicle into the city.
Chinese press reports, Nanning to be a starting point for cross-border high-speed connection over Hanoi, Bangkok, Penang and Kuala Lumpur to Singapore.
Railways ( national)
The small, also used as a military airfield airport from Nanning (code: NNG) lies 32 km southwest of the city center in the large village of Wuxu Nanninger Borough of Jiangnan. He can be reached for your money with the bus ( station near the train station) in 1/2 hour. The road to the airport is newly built and marked as 3 -lane Airport Express Way ( Toll Roads). International connections are made only to Hong Kong. Domestic connections are, however, been sufficient frequency of China Southern Airlines and Shenzhen Airlines to all major cities in China. (among other things: Beijing, Guangzhou, Shanghai, Kunming, Xiamen).
Nanning is since 2001, the twin city of Klagenfurt in Austria.