Narew in Strękowa Góra
Template: Infobox River / Obsolete
The Narew ( Belarusian Нараў Narau ) is a river in Belarus and Poland of 484 km in length, of which 448 km in Poland. 312 km of the Narew are navigable.
The source of the Narew is located in the forests of Bialowieza in Belarus, north of the city of Brest. In Nowy Dwór Mazowiecki north of Warsaw leads the Narew in the Vistula river, shortly after he took up the Western Bug.
The river has a large network of meanders, oxbow lakes and backwaters, and is one of the last remaining anastomisierenden rivers in Europe. Until a few years ago here bred 151 species of birds in great density, for example Tüpfelralle, Small Rail, Water Rail, Bittern, Little Bittern, Bluethroat or warbler.
The valley of the Upper Narew was made in 1985 as Narew landscape park under protection. Part of it belongs since 1996 to the Narew National Park. In Poland, he is dammed at Dębe Dam to Zegrzynski reservoir.
Together with Pisa, Vistula and San Narew defined the border between the German and Soviet spheres of influence, as laid down in the secret protocol to the Soviet-German Non-Aggression Pact of 23 August 1939 and the subsequent diplomatic agreements. Along this border Poland was divided in September 1939 for the fourth time.