Neath Abbey was a Cistercian abbey in Wales. The ruins of the monastery is located about 2 km west of Neath ( Castell- Nedd ) on the road to Swansea ( Abertawe ) in the district of Neath Port Talbot (formerly West Glamorgan ).
The abbey was founded in 1129 by Sir Richard de Granville in 1130 and occupied by monks from Savigny Abbey. You may be originally closer, maybe, situated on the River Neath in Cwrt -y- Bettws. The Congregation of Savigny Abbey in 1147 joined the Cistercian Order of filiation in the primary Clairvaux Abbey. The Konversenbau was built in 1170-1220, the remaining buildings of the monastery, in essence, while the Church 1280-1330 was completely rebuilt in the 13th century. 1314 the monastery was looted. 1539 was the abbey whose annual income was estimated at 132 pounds, but was the first monastery Resolution 1536 escape thanks to a payment of money collected by the crown and given to Sir Richard Williams. Towards the end of the 16th century, the abbot's house from the 14th century using stones from the monastery, which also found for the construction of the St. Thomas Church in Neath using, in a mansion for Sir John Herbert was rebuilt, but the at the beginning of the 18th century has become a ruin. Since 1720, the abbey was used as a copper smelter; later she was part of an industrial area and fell into disrepair. After 1924, the site was cleared and excavated and placed under state management in 1944. Today it is administered by the Welsh Historic Monuments ( CADW ).
Plant and buildings
The plant corresponded substantially to the bernhardi American plan. The church, whose western part is preserved almost in the original amount is held in the Decorated style, and was originally a large, no longer extant west window. The nave had three naves. The walls of the aisles are largely obtained from the nave, however, only the column bases. The transept had two rectangular chapels in the east. In the south transept is still the basis of Dormitoriumstreppe available. In the monks' choir and the transept is extensive remains of the floor tiles have received. Also, the presbytery had three naves, from its northern ship a yoke is received in full amount. Behind the high altar runs a deal. From the south (right) located by the Church exam chapter house and parlatorium are essentially disappeared. However, from the south adjacent parts are (later abbot's house ) get larger residues. Even the monastic refectory is mostly gone off. From Konversenrefektorium is more preserved, but not the vault. The Konversenbau was separated by an alley from the monastery cloister ( see, eg, Kloster Eberbach, Stanley Abbey, Whitland Abbey or Cleeve Abbey ).