Neil Leslie Diamond ( born January 24, 1941 in Brooklyn, New York) is an American singer and songwriter. He had especially in the late 1960s and in the 1970s, numerous top ten hits such as Sweet Caroline, I Am ... I Said, Song Sung Blue and Cracklin ' Rosie.
- 2.1 Studio albums
- 2.2 Live albums
- 2.3 Compilations
- 2.4 Film Music (Selection)
- 2.5 Known songs and chart positions (selection)
- 2.6 Known cover versions (a selection)
- 2.7 Duets (selection)
Childhood and youth
Diamond grew up in a Jewish- Polish- Russian immigrant family in Brooklyn, New York. He went with Barbra Streisand in high school and sang with her in the school choir. After the school visit, he usually had to help out in his father's shop. For his 16th birthday he was given a guitar as a present, which he learned to play.
In the early 1960s, working first as a songwriter, wrote Diamond after a period of modest success ( for example, Sunday and Me, which he wrote for Jay and the Americans and landed at No. 18 ), entitled I'm a Believer, he introduced the Monkees available, his first international success. Only then followed the well-known own hits, also found in the repertoire of many other pop greats such as Roy Orbison, Elvis Presley, Frank Sinatra, Shirley Bassey, Harry Belafonte, Engelbert Humperdinck, Julio Iglesias, Tom Jones, Daliah Lavi, Tina Turner or Johnny Cash were or are.
His first hit was in 1966 Solitary Man ( 55th place ), with the follow-up single Cherry Cherry him his first top ten placement succeeded ( 6th place). His first number 1 hit in 1970 Cracklin ' Rosie, I Am ... I Said 1971 reached the Top 5 in the UK and the U.S. and Song Sung Blue 1972 reached again the top of the U.S. charts. In 1972 he was awarded a Bronze Bravo Otto in Germany the youth magazine BRAVO.
As the most successful song, which was sung by him, but not written by him, He Is not Heavy ... He's My Brother applies, a place 20 hit from 1970, which before the Hollies had taken.
In 1976 Diamond on the album Beautiful Noise, produced by Robbie Robertson. The album reached the top of the album charts (1976 Austria 1977 Germany ) in German-speaking countries.
In 1977 he released the song You Do not Bring Me Flowers on the album I'm Glad You're Here With Me Tonight. The song was covered by Barbra Streisand on her album Songbird by singing a second voice recording for Neil Diamond. This virtual duet was so popular that Diamond and Streisand duet recordings in 1978 in real terms. This recording became another No. 1 hit.
In 1980 the film The Jazz Singer was released in the next Neil Diamond Laurence Olivier played the lead role and also provided the soundtrack. Reached with the song America, the number 8 on the Billboard singles chart and the ballad Love on the Rocks (2nd place), the soundtrack has been enormously successful, reaching # 1 on the Billboard charts; however, the film flopped. After that, Diamond moved as an actor from the film world largely alleviated, only some 20 years later, he was in Saving Silverman - The Devil Is a Woman ( Saving Silverman ), a guest appearance.
In 1973, Diamond for the novel adaptation of Richard Bach's Jonathan Livingston Seagull ( Jonathan Livingston Seagull ) on the soundtrack of the same name. 1982 inspired him E.T. the film to his hit Heartlight.
In 1996, he took with Tennessee Moon on a country album, which earned him a listing in 14th place. In 2000, Neil Diamond was in New York the Lifetime Achievement Award from the Songwriters Hall of Fame. In November 2005, his album was released 12 songs ( ranked No. 4 on the Billboard charts ). It was produced by Rick Rubin, who had also produced the last four studio albums by Johnny Cash. On 9 May 2008 appeared - again in collaboration with Rubin - his 29th studio album, Home Before Dark, among other information, a duet with Natalie Maines, the lead singer of the Dixie Chicks is heard. The album was Diamonds first No. 1 album on the Billboard charts. In the summer of 2008, Neil Diamond was back to a concert tour in Europe; Among other things, he stepped in Hamburg, Cologne and Munich and the first time at the Glastonbury Festival. By May 2009, Neil Diamond had sold over 125 million records worldwide.
On his album from 2009 "A Cherry Cherry Christmas" Diamond coverte the famous song "The Chanukah Song" of comedian Adam Sandler. The music video was produced by DJ Ashba to, guitarist for Guns N 'Roses. Neil Diamond gave here a musical work in time for the eight-day Jewish festival of lights Hanukkah, the eve of December 12, 2009, from.
On March 14, 2011 Diamond was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, he was introduced here by Paul Simon. In 2011, the singer was back on tour, including concerts he gave in Berlin, Mannheim, Oberhausen, Hamburg and Zurich.
On August 10, 2012 Diamond received a star category music recordings on the Hollywood Walk of Fame at the address 1750 North Vine Street, opposite the Capitol Tower.
Diamond was first married to his childhood sweetheart Jaye Posner. From this marriage two children were born. From his second marriage to Marcia Murphey he has two sons who were born in 1970 and 1978. Neil Diamond and Murphey could be divorced in 1995 after 26 years. In April 2012, the singer married again. The 71 -year-old married in Los Angeles his fiancée Katie McNeil. The 42 -year-old producer and also Diamonds manager.
Film Music (Selection)
- Jonathan Livingston Seagull ( Jonathan Livingston Seagull ), 1973
- "The Jazz Singer", 1980, ( known songs: "America ," "Love on the Rocks ", " Hello Again " )
- A woman is her husband ( Switching Channels ), 1988, with Kathleen Turner, Burt Reynolds, Christopher Reeve
- Pulp Fiction (1994 ) - with John Travolta and Bruce Willis ( song: " Girl, You'll Be a Woman Soon " )
- Make an American Quilt (1995 ) with Winona Ryder ( song " Cherry, Cherry" )
- Beautiful Girls (1996 ) with Matt Dillon ( song " Sweet Caroline " )
- Donnie Brasco (1997) starring Al Pacino and Johnny Depp ( song: "Love on the Rocks " )
- Austin Powers - The Spy Who Shagged Me ( 1999) Austin Powers ( song: " I'm a Believer " )
- Bringing Out the Dead - Bringing Out the Dead (1999) with Nicolas Cage, directed by Martin Scorsese ( song: " Red, Red Wine" )
- Holy Smoke (1999) with Kate Winslet and Harvey Keitel ( " Holly Holy" )
- The Monkees Story ( 2000) ( " I'm a Believer " in the version of the Monkees )
- Shrek ( 2001) ( song: " I'm a Believer " )
- Saving Silverman - The Devil Is a Woman ( Saving Silverman ) (2001 ) with guest appearance Neil Diamond ( song: "I Believe in Happy Endings " )
- Wonderland ( 2003) with Val Kilmer ( "Love on the Rocks " )
- Anchorman - The Legend of Ron Burgundy (2004) with Will Ferrell ( song: "Cherry, Cherry" )
- Fever Pitch - A man for one season (2005) with Drew Barrymore and Jimmy Fallon ( song: " Sweet Caroline " )
- The Heavyweight ( 2011) with Kevin James and Salma Hayek ( song: " Holly Holy" )
Well-known songs and chart positions (selection)
- " Cracklin ' Rosie " ( U.S. # 1, UK # 3, D # 7)
- "Song Sung Blue" ( U.S. # 1, UK # 14, D # 6) / Grammy nomination
- "You Do not Bring Me Flowers" ( U.S. # 1, UK # 5) / Grammy nomination
- " I'm a Believer " ( U.S. # 1 for the Monkees, # 25 Smash Mouth )
- " Red Red Wine " ( U.S. # 1 for UB40 )
- "Love on the Rocks " (U.S. # 2)
- " I Am ... I Said " ( U.S. # 4) / Grammy nomination
- "Sweet Caroline " ( U.S. # 4, UK # 8)
- " Longfellow Serenade" ( U.S. # 5)
- " Heartlight " ( U.S. # 5)
- "Cherry, Cherry" ( U.S. # 6)
- " Holly Holy" ( U.S. # 6)
- " Hello Again " ( U.S. # 6)
- "America" ( U.S. # 8)
- " Girl, You'll Be a Woman Soon " ( U.S. # 10)
- "Play Me" ( U.S. # 11)
- "If You Know What I Mean " ( U.S. # 11)
- " Yesterdays Song" ( U.S. # 11)
- "Thank the Lord for the Night Time" ( U.S. # 13)
- " Stones" ( U.S. # 14)
- " I Got the Feelin ' ( Oh No No) " ( U.S. # 16)
- " Walk on Water " ( U.S. # 17)
- " September Morn " ( U.S. # 17)
- " You Got to Me" ( U.S. # 18)
- "Forever in Blue Jeans" ( U.S. # 20)
Well-known cover versions (a selection)
- "And the Grass Will not Pay No Mind" Elvis Presley
- " Brother Love's Travelling Salvation Show," Sonny and Cher
- " Cracklin ' Rosie ," Billy Joe Royal
- " Girl, You'll Be a Woman Soon ", Urge Overkill ( Pulp Fiction soundtrack )
- " Hello Again ", Ronan Keating
- " I'll Come Running", Cliff Richard
- " I'm a Believer " Monkees, EMF, Smash Mouth ( Shrek soundtrack )
- "Kentucky Woman," Deep Purple
- "Play Me", Harry Belafonte, Shirley Bassey
- " Red Red Wine " UB40
- " September Morn ", Andrea Bocelli
- " Solitary Man ", Johnny Cash, HIM, Chris Isaak, Rantanplan
- "Song Sung Blue", Frank Sinatra, James Last
- " Stargazer", Frank Sinatra, Shirley Bassey
- "Sweet Caroline ", Roy Orbison, Waylon Jennings, Elvis Presley, Bobby Womack, Mountain Brothers ( musical project ), Frank Sinatra, Liberace, Roland Kaiser, Al Martino, U2, DJ Ötzi
- " The Boat That I Row ", Lulu
- " Beautiful Noise ( German, a special sound ) ," Karel Gott
- " Holly Holy ( German ) ," Cindy & Bert, Daliah Lavi
- "Let Me Take You in My Arms Again ( German ) ," Bernd Clüver, Howard Carpendale
- "Sweet Caroline ( German ) ," Gerhard Wendland
- " Cracklin ' Rosie ( German, all women of the world ) ," Gerhard Wendland
- "You Do not Bring Me Flowers" duet with Barbra Streisand
- " Hooked on the Memory of You " duet with Kim Carnes
- "The House I Live In " with Frank Sinatra
- " One Good Love" with Waylon Jennings
- "Heartbreak Hotel " with Kim Carnes
- "Another Day " with Natalie Maines
- " Marry Me" with Buffy Lawson