Nemi is a town in the province of Rome in the Italian region Latium, located about 1929 inhabitants ( 31 December 2012).
The name derives from the Latin nemus ( = forest, grove ); the place is still surrounded by chestnut forests.
- 4.1 Twin towns
Nemi is located 27 km southeast of Rome and 22 km from the coast of the Tyrrhenian Sea. It is in the Alban hills above the Lake Nemi, a crater lake in the volcanic complex of Vulcano Laziale. The town itself is located on a narrow terrace on the northern inner wall of the caldera nearly 200 m high above the lake. Nemi is one of the towns in the Castelli Romani. The municipal area extends from 316 m slm s.l.m. to 675 m.
The municipality is located in the seismic zone 2 (medium endangered).
- Nemi is located 19 km from the driveway San Cesareo on the feeder road to the A1 Autostrada del Sole motorway.
- About the Strada Statale 217 Via dei Laghi Nemi is connected with Rome and Velletri.
- The nearest train station is in Lanuvio at the regional railway line Rome - Velletri FR4 9 km away.
Nemi is one of the oldest settlements in central Italy. A first occupation of the site has already been demonstrated for the Bronze Age. During this time the mother goddess Dea Mater was also worshiped in the dense forest of the crater, which was converted to Roman times to Diana. This sanctuary was in pre-Roman times also the political center of the Latins. As Nemi was conquered by the Romans in 338 BC, it lost this function. For the sanctuary of Diana Nemorensis was expanded end of the second century BC monumental. On the slopes of the crater created mansions of the rich Roman families, including also a Villa of Julius Caesar. Finally, Caligula had two huge vessels in honor of Diana's build on the lake. With the Christianization of Nemi lost its importance and fell into disrepair.
The present village was created with the construction of the castle by the Counts of Tusculum in the 10th century. After the case was Pope Celestine III. Nemi from the Cistercians, extensions to the castle into a monastic complex. From him today is the tower obtained which dominates the panorama of the place. In the 14th century Nemi came to the Colonna family, and then in quick succession to the Annibaldi, Cesarini, Piccolomini, Cenci, Frangipane, Braschi, Rospigliosi, Orsini, and finally the Ruspoli. Among the Frangipane from the 16th to the 18th century, the city flourished, the Braschi could expand the castle in the 18th century by Giuseppe Valadier to its present size.
Became world-famous as Nemi 1929 - 1932 the ships of Caligula were recovered. But in 1944 they were destroyed by a fire in the museum again.
Alberto Bertucci (UDC ) won on 6/7 May 2012, the mayoral election against his predecessor Cinzia Cocchi and two other candidates. His civil list Uniti by Nemi also provides 4 of the 6 local councils.
Cocchi ( PdL ) was elected in June 2009 for mayor. Your predecessor Alessandro Biaggi (2004-2009) did not occur at the election.
Since three of the councilors of their list, led by Bertucci, went over to the opposition lost Cocchi they supportive majority and resigned on 23 June 2011. From 27 July until the next election in May 2012, the community was provisionally led by Fabio Maurano.
- The Castello Ruspoli dates back to a fortress from the 10th century.
- The monastery del Holy Crucifix was built in 1637 for the Franciscans ( OFM), but is now the order of the Mercedarians.
- The sanctuary of Diana Nemorensis lies below the village on the lake shore, but is not publicly available.
- Nearby is the Museo delle Navi is ( Museum of vessels), which displays archaeological finds and the ship models and is accessible via Genzano di Roma.
Economy, tourism, local products
The place is alive today from the weekend and local recreation tourism of the Romans, but is also visited by international tourists Rome as part of day trips in the Alban Hills like. The old town with Corso Vittorio Emanuele, Via Giulia and side streets is popular because of its small bars and local specialty restaurants, where meat dishes with mushrooms, game and fish are from the Nemi lake on the map.
Nemi is mainly known for its wild strawberries, which, however, today - as well as the cultured within plants and flowers that adorn the entrances and balconies - mostly from greenhouses on the lakeshore. On the first Sunday in June takes place the Sagra delle Fragole ( feast of strawberries) and a large vegetable and flower show ( Mostra dei Fiori). From the wild strawberries numerous desserts, ice cream, jams and liqueurs are prepared.
Other typical products are baked in a wood oven bread; Butchers Caterers ( Norcinerien ) offer ham, cured sausage, dried mushrooms and tomatoes, cheese and honey from the surrounding area.
Arts and crafts and antique shops also have an established tradition in the old town.
The cultural- historical- tourist promotion organization Pro Loco organizes antique fairs and art exhibitions, open-air theater and musical performances in the Piazza Roma and the Christmas period a crib exhibition.
Nemi carries the Orange Flag a seal of quality in the field of tourism and the environment of the TCI.