Neptec Design Group
Neptec Design Group Ltd. is a Canadian aviation and aerospace company headquartered in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. The company develops and manufactures sensors, camera systems, simulation software and remote-controlled robot systems for the aerospace industry for civilian and military industry. Headquartered in Ontario, the company operates an office in Houston, Texas in the United States.
The company was founded in September 1990. The responsibilities of the company were initially in the development of software solutions for the processing and analysis of photographs from Earth observation satellites and other spacecraft. Furthermore, also other engineering services. Due to new requirements of the American space agency NASA, which needed a special camera system to build the International Space Station (ISS), Neptec developed the Advanced Space Vision System ( ASVS ). The prototype ( ASVS ) 1992 NASA presented in Houston. This was the first system of its kind which has been proven very good. Due to this positive progress, the company was able to secure more orders from the American space agency (NASA) as well as from other public and military agencies. 1995 Neptec delivered an improved system that has brought by NASA on the Space Shuttle Atlantis to the Russian space station MIR. Neptec received a ten year contract for the supply and development of camera systems and sensors for the International Space Station (ISS) as well as the Space Shuttle spaceships. Neptec is the general contractor for the U.S. space agency (NASA).
Neptec received the highest awards from NASA for quality products and timely delivery of highly complex systems. Neptec developed for space:
- Space Vision System ( SVS ) - Simulation Software
- Laser Camera System (LCS ) - A camera system which is installed on the robotic arm of the space shuttle.
- TriDAR - A listening, range and measurement system with which docking method with the ISS can be monitored and for other applications.
- Juno Rover - remote controlled partly autonomous robotic systems for reconnaissance trips on other planets.
- Hawkeye - Laser system for measuring distances
- Long Range Optical sensor - a camera unit for small and micro satellites
- REACT Processor Card - A high-speed processor board for the low-earth -orbit
- Hawkeye Processor Card
- Space IR Camera - High-performance infrared camera
For military operations, the company developed:
- 3D ISR
- Threat Detection - surplus target exploration
- Electrical Impedance Tomography
For industrial purposes, the company developed:
- Laser Metrology System (LMS)
- Transportation, technology solutions for rail traffic
- Offshore platforms and underwater technology
- Mining technologies
On 23 November 2010 the company won a $ 11.5 million bid, the Canadian Space Agency ( CSA) for the planning and development of a remote-controlled robotic vehicle which is to be used on other planets. The rover is to be completed and tested in 2012. The prototype of this Rovers named Artemis JR Rover was introduced on 13 June 2012, other components of the NASA public at Kennedy Space Center in Florida. According to current plans, the rover will be 2017 or 2018 flown by NASA or ESA to the moon and do research there to water resources.