New Westminster is a city in the metropolitan area of Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.
New Westminster is located on the Burrard Peninsula, on the north bank of the Fraser River. The city is located 19 kilometers away from Vancouver and adjacent to Burnaby, Coquitlam and Surrey. The city has an area of 15.3 km ².
1859 New Westminster was the first capital of the new colony of British Columbia. Queen Victoria chose the name because Westminster was her favorite part in London. This New Westminster got the royal city the nickname.
The census in 2011 showed a population of 65 975 inhabitants for the city. The population of the city has thereby increased since the census of 2006 at 12.7%, while the population in British Columbia grew simultaneously only by 7.0%.
Sons and daughters of the town
- Raymond Burr (1917-1993), theater, television and film actor
- Robert Langlands ( b. 1936 ), mathematician
- Doug Berry ( born 1957 ), former ice hockey player ( among others at Kölner Haie and Adler Mannheim )
- Nicholas Lea (born 1962 ), actor
- Aaron Douglas (born 1971 ), actor
- Devin Townsend (born 1972 ), singer, guitarist, songwriter and producer
- Greg Moore (1975-1999), racing driver
- Alexz Johnson ( born 1986 ), singer, songwriter and actress
- Kyle Turris (* 1989), ice hockey player