Template: Infobox city in Denmark / Maintenance / surface missing template: Infobox city in Denmark / Maintenance / height missing
Nibe is a town on the Danish peninsula Himmerlands. The town of about 5000 inhabitants, situated at Nibe Bredning, a tributary of the Limfjord. Since 2007 she is part of the greater community of Aalborg, which lies in the North Jutland. Prior to that, from 1970 to December 2006, she was the center of the Nibe Municipality. Nibe is located about 21 kilometers west of Aalborg and 26 kilometers east of Løgstør. The coat of arms recalls the past as a major herring city.
Nibe originated in the early Middle Ages as a fishing village, which was favored by the abundance of fish, especially of herring in the Limfjord. The town was first mentioned in 1376 as Nyphering. The altdänische term stands for the " Niber herring ", which was first sold in North German Hanseatic cities. (: Alburgs nipherinch Old Danish ) sold as the trade went about in the larger neighboring town of Aalborg, herring as " Aalborg Nibehering ". In the 15th century it belonged to the Danish king, who employed there in the 15th century, his own " Salzer ", the worried salt herring for the royal court and warships. 1518 were the inhabitants the right to cure against a tax to the crown in Nibe herring and sell.
Despite resistance of the bourgeoisie Aalborg issued in 1587 Frederick II 's permission, that two blacksmiths, two shoemakers and two cutters were allowed to settle in Nibe. The growth ensured that Nibe 1672 the eighth largest city in Jutland was and was ranked 16th in Denmark. As the place in 1727 by Frederick IV finally received the full market rights, Nibe had 1600 inhabitants. This happened at a time when the herring fishery was already in retreat. 1765 Nibe was struck by a great fire, which destroyed 127 yards and houses. 1806 burned the city again. 1825 was followed by a storm surge in the North Sea broke through in the Agger Tange in the Limfjord, the next big disaster. After the herring disappeared from the Limfjord, so that the Danish government proposed in 1835, Nibe as a market town ( Købstad ) give up. But the inhabitants defended themselves against it. 1866, the town got a modern port. 1899 began with the establishment of the route Svenstrup - Nibe - Aars the railway era, which lasted until 1969. Today, a piece of the southern part of the railway line between Nibe and Vegger is a combined walking, cycling and bridle path.
In a large city restoration in the 1960s, many of the old roof tiles were replaced with fiber cement and cross windows with large panes. A plan from 1974 made sure that the original townscape has been preserved by many of the changes were reversed. Since 1980, every year will be awarded the best restored house.
Nibe is now a typical Danish small town in Aalborg hinterland, is operated in the craft and small factories have settled. On the former railway land at the harbor and above the slopes open to institutions and new companies have settled. Settlements with single-family homes stretch from the southeast.
Streets, buildings and spaces
The streets in the old town is dominated by closed rows of houses facing major Hofplätzen and gardens. Most of the many old houses were built after the fire of 1806, the general architectural style is influenced by the Biedermeier era -. Using local features. The foundation walls are downstairs yellow or whitewashed and have serrated cornices. Fjordgade, Mellemgade and Strandgade are among the best preserved streets.
Landmark of the town is the former herring whitewashed brick church Nibe Kirke. The building with the large pointed windows originated at the beginning of the 15th century, when the herring fishery nor cared for wealth. Before the Reformation, the church was one of the Holy Saint Just consecrated sanctuary. There, in 1992 extensive murals were brought forth with great attention, probably dating from around the year 1500.
The merchant Søren Nielsen (1779-1839), built in 1820, the first park in the city to green the slopes. The work was continued by the pharmacist Annaeus Nielsen (1839-1927), and a memorial monument in the park at the Nibe Anlæg.
Where meet the old country roads to Aalborg, Hobro and Løgstør, is the Marktplatz ( Torvet ). When this part of the city during the fire of 1806 badly damaged, you renounced the reconstruction of some houses, so that was the Torvet a larger and paved square, the (now Gammeltorv ) replaced the old smaller marketplace and where the farmers sell their goods could sell. There stands the Nibe Museum, which is housed in the old town hall, court and prison of the city. The house is home to a local history archive and displays exhibitions among others on fishing in the fjord.
- Jens Peter Dahl -Jensen (1874-1960), sculptor