With 3991 inhabitants (as of 1 January 2013) it is one of the smaller towns of the province of Huelva. The historic town wall ( two km wide) with its five gates and more than 30 towers is completely preserved.
The city is located on a hill above the Río Tinto, 70 kilometers west of Seville on the A49 motorway (Sevilla - Huelva).
The Iberians called the place Ilipla, the Visigoths Elepla, the Moors Libla or Labla and after the Reconquest he finally received its present name Niebla. Even in Roman times was the village of importance, they still lay on the road from the mouth of the Anas ( Guadiana = ) by Italica. In 1130 the city wall was built under Moorish occupation. The city experienced its greatest prosperity at that time; the population rose to 40,000 by the middle of the 13th century. 1262 fell Niebla under Alfonso X ( the Wise ) to the Christians. In the centuries that followed led dynastic disputes and frequent looting the decline of the city. In the Spanish War of Independence (1808-1814) was the city wall partially damaged. 1842 were counted only 173 inhabitants.
The historic cityscape with completely preserved city walls, the Alcazar or Castillo de los Guzmanes ( a castle, which is built into the city wall ), the churches of San Martín ( ruin) and Santa María de la Granada (former mosque ), Roman bridge over the Río Tinto.
Walled city of Niebla
The church portal of San Martín (15th century)