View from the warehouses to Niederweningen
Niederweningen is a municipality in the district of Dielsdorf the canton of Zurich in Switzerland.
Coat of arms
Niederweningen between Eggwald and warehouses at the western end of the Wehntales, which is drained by the Surb. The 688 ha total area of the municipality is divided into 49% agriculture, 38 % forest, 4% traffic area and 9 % settlement area.
The municipality is bordered to the north by Siglistorf (AG), to the east by Schleinikon, on the southeast by Otelfingen, to the south Wettingen (AG), on the west by Unterehrendingen (AG) and on the northwest by Schneisingen ( AG).
Niederweningen is the westernmost municipality in the canton of Zurich.
During the excavations from 1840 to 1911 on the Schöfflisdorfer, the Oberweningen and the Schleinikerplatte and Niederweningen the 28 grave mounds were explored on the Egg which were the Neolithic Age (2000 BC ) attributed. The Wehntal was already inhabited in Roman times. Bear witness to the two manors in Oberweningen and in Schleinikon - Dachsleren. In the year 507, the region came under the rule of the Burgundian king Gundobad. Around 700 the Alemanni settled the valley. In a few of the clan Vano let down. The place name derives from the term " situs Waninctale " from ( among the people of Vano ). From the year 1000, the Wehntal belonged within the German Empire to the Duchy of Swabia - Alemanien. From 1127 to 1218 ruled the Zähringers. They were followed in the 11th century, the barons of rain mountain. Ulrich of network lie was the head of the rain bergischen Meier Court's Niederweningen and as such held the highest office in the village.
On March 17, 1409 Niederweningen came under the dominion of the city-state of Zurich, the impoverished nobility borrowed money and by the uncashed deposit properties devolved parts of present-day Canton area. 1431 already complained rain mountain on the violation of its ancient liberties. 1439 broke out the so-called Old Zurich War. Agriculture had to deliver the reign interest Regensberger in the form of seeds, oats and spelled, and of fowls, eggs, geese and pigs. A security interest guarantees the existence of beekeeping. Free peasants were in Wehntal of the 14th century, according to the Habsburg land register now more in Schleinikon and Dachsleren.
In the 16th and 17th century, agriculture in Niederweningen was in upheaval. From 1608 to 1668 150 Jucharten forest were cleared in favor of farmland and Rebgelände. As capital of the Wehntals the community could organize some themselves, some fell into the jurisdiction of the bailiff of the chapter Constance and the senior bailiff on rainy mountain.
The Helvetic Republic in 1803 brought the mediation Constitution and with it the political community Niederweningen with the five -member council and the mayor at the top. Niederweningen belonged to the District Bülach and within this management unit for guild court Schöfflisdorf. The term guild court was emphasized equality of the landscape with the city of Zurich, which had known until 1798 alone a guild constitution.
In 1842 a post office was set up connection to Zurich. In the summer of 1890, the Swiss Northeastern Railway began construction of the railway line from the previous terminus Dielsdorf forth into Wehntal up to Niederweningen, the so-called Wehntal.
The SVP has 42.0 %, the SP 21.1 %, the FDP 13.9 %, Green 9.0 %, the CVP 4.6 %, and the EPP 3.8 % of the vote. Another important group, the Free Voters Niederweningen are active. Community is President Andrea Weber Allenspach. The local councils are Walter Bleuler, Hubert Graf, Sybille Hauser and Christian Moser.
In addition to the primary school and the Mammoth Meadow Kindergarten Niederweningen is the local secondary school center, which houses the School of Wehntaler communities Niederweningen, Schleinikon, Schöfflisdorf and Oberweningen with the school system Schmitt Wies.
Niederweningen is the end point of the Wehntal (upper Glatt Niederweningen ), the lines of the S5 ( Pfäffikon SZ- Zurich HB- Niederweningen ) and S55 (upper Glatt Niederweningen ) of the S -Bahn Zurich is busy. The trains of the half hourly free S5 operate alternately the endpoints Niederweningen and Rafz, whereby the Wehntal railway operated hourly, the S55 represents the day a second hourly train connection. The municipality is served by the two railway stations Niederweningen village and Niederweningen, the latter is directly on the border with neighboring community Schneisingen Aargau. In the course of Surbtales run postbuses after Doettingen since 1915 provided by federal law Surbtalbahn was never built. Also the direction of Baden and Siglistorf, Emperor chair lead postal routes
The main road 17 from Zurich to Doettingen performs Niederweningen.
- Adolf Meyer (1866-1950), Swiss- American psychiatrist.
The construction work for the Wehntal bones were seven mammoths found. 1967 Bucher -Guyer AG were found remains of a 20,000 year old glacial wild horse in excavation work on the site of the company. In 2003, the remains of a mammoth bull and a tusk was unearthed at various excavation work. This prompted the association for local history to build, together with representatives of the paleontological museum and the Kantonsarchäologie Niederweningen a mammoth museum. Since October 2005, provides the " Mammoth Museum Niederweningen " a comprehensive overview of the most mammoth finds in Switzerland.
The entrance to the village ( from the east )