- SPÖ: 12
- ÖVP: 3
Niklas village is a market town with 2570 inhabitants (as of 1 January 2013 ) in the judicial district and the district of Leoben, Styria, Austria.
- 2.1 Early History
- 2.2 antiquity
- 2.3 Middle Ages - Duchy Karantania and Carolingian - Frankish rule
- 3.1 residents
- 3.2 Population by age group
- 3.3 foreigner quota
- 3.4 languages
- 3.5 Religion
- 4.1 Regional Policy
Location and landscape
Niklas village is located in the Upper Styrian Mur valley, about seven kilometers east of Leoben and ten kilometers west of Bruck an der Mur. The municipality covers 15.20 km ² and lies at an altitude of 527 m in the center. The northern boundary of the municipality is the Mur at a length of more than one kilometer. Borders the following municipalities in the district of Leoben Leoben and Proleb and Oberaich in the district of Bruck- Miirzzuschlag.
Far more than half of the municipal area consists of forest land, about one fifth of fields, meadows, and approximately 50 acres of pastures.
The parish includes the village of Niklas village and consists of three cadastral Niklas village, Foirach and Niklas village ditch.
Continental climate with relatively warm summers, but frequent cold waves and summer rain prevails, the winters are quite strict and show some rather large temperature fluctuations. The rain falls from relatively low.
Archaeological excavations prove the settlement in the region since early times. From the Palaeolithic and Mesolithic ( 100000-4000 BC) some bone tools were discovered in the surrounding caves (eg dragon cave at Mixnitz ). The best known find from this time in Niklas Strand municipality is a molar tooth of a mammoth. In the Neolithic period ( 4000-2300 BC) began the rural settlement of Upper Styria. Many stone axes have been found in the nearby village of Mill Valley and denominator ( municipality Leoben ).
The Bronze Age ( 2300-1200 BC ) is often rated as the beginning of the mining and metallurgical industry, which since that time a great economic and cultural importance in this region occupies ( Styrian Iron Road ). In the district of Leoben this precious finds testify (eg tang sword from Donawitz ). The discovery of two cloakpins comes from Niklas village.
With increasing grave goods made of iron, a new era was initiated ( Iron Age - from 800 BC). Around the 4th century. BC was due to immigration of Celts called Illyrian population mixed and founded the kingdom of Noricum. Noricum was founded in 15 BC by Emperor Augustus ( 63 BC -16 AD) part of the Roman Empire and the reign of Claudius ( 41-54 AD), a Roman province. A relic from this period is the Roman Bridge at St. Dionysen.
The room was one of Leoben in the Roman Empire for the most part to the extensive municipality of Flavia Solva in Leibnitz (south of Graz), and to a lesser extent to that of Lauriacum ( Lorch, Upper Austria ). From this period Roman period inscription stones from the room Leoben are known.
Middle Ages - Duchy Karantania and Carolingian - Frankish rule
After the fall of the Roman Empire settled in the 6th century Slavic populations, the region and founded the Duchy of Carinthia are ( later Carinthia ). Numerous place and field names of that time from the surrounding villages Niklas remained to this day (eg, Leoben, Donawitz, Proleb, Mötschlach, Mugel, and others), with the Slavic name along the old Roman road dominate west of the river Mur. East of the River Mur outweigh German settlement terms.
In the 8th century, the Carantanians pressed using the Bayern back the invading Avars and redoubling under Bavarian suzerainty and from 788 under Carolingian- Frankish rule. From this period cemeteries in the village near places Niklas Proleb, Trofaiach and Brunn were discovered at St. Michael. 828 Karantania became Bavarian again.
Starting from the diocese of Salzburg in the 8th century Christian missions of Upper Styria and the first churches began arisen. In the year 860 of the German for the archbishopric of Salzburg the towns of St. Michael ob Leoben (ad Liestinicham ) and Bruck (ad Pruccam ) are mentioned in a deed of King Louis, where apparently were Carolingian estates. St. Michael is the original parish for later Niklas village.
On March 10, 904 to Ingolstadt gave King Louis the Child ( the only legitimate son of Emperor Arnulf of Carinthia ) the Aribo II ( Count Göss - Schladnitz ) 20 Huben with a walled courtyard at the Schladnitz estuary to free self. Starting from this yard Aribo took down the river on both sides of the river Mur in 1800 yoke country. Depending on the research opinion could be around the subsequent cadastral Schladnitz, Schladnitzgraben, Göss Gössgraben, Leoben, Mill Valley, Niklas village, Niklas village ditch, Foirach, Streitgarn, Forestry Forest, Upper Aichinger or Leitendorf, Waasen suburb, perhaps a part of Donawitz, Pichel and Oberdorf have acted. Although only the Court Schladnitz was mentioned in a document, one can start from several homesteads, as Aribo II the selected country "cum curtilibus ", was thus transferred to the courts of standing on it. Portions of this unique in Upper Styria manor houses have been preserved until today as so-called " Moarhöfe " ( " Meier courts ").
1004 was the pen Göss, founded the oldest pin monastery in Styria. On April 13, 1148 were the possessions of the pen by Pope Eugene III in Reims, France. confirmed with the " ecclesia Sancti Nicholai de Michlindorfr " was one of them. This is the oldest known evidence of Michel village, today's Niklas village. ( The former name is - as in the case of other place names - back to the Old High German word " mihhil " with the basic meaning 'big', that suggests a measured at the former environment, significant settlement close. ) Took this first documentary mention Niklas village 1998 on the occasion of the 850th anniversary of the church.
With 2574 inhabitants (as of March 2008) Niklas village occupies the fifth place of the most populous municipalities in the district of Leoben. It is also to St. Michael in Upper Styria, the most populous municipality in the district. In 1971, Niklas village with 3,365 inhabitants, the most populated state in its history. The steady decline in population since existing results from a high churn rate (-5 % from 1991 to 2001 ) and a low birth rate (-4.4 % from 1991 to 2001 ). The population density in 2008 was about 170 inhabitants per square kilometer.
Population by age group
The population is made up of 52.6 % ( 1355 ) women and 47.6% men ( 1219 ), resulting in a slight excess of 136 persons of the female population results (as of 2008 ). This is due to the generally higher life expectancy of women. From the 60th age an increase in the female population is recorded.
Percentage of foreigners
The immigration rate is 5.2% (133 ) due to the location as an industrial location similar to the district capital of Leoben increased the national average. While in 1991 only 2.3 % ( 1717) non-Austrians in the district of Leoben were recorded, the number has almost doubled to 2008. As Niklas village is affected along with Leoben, Front Mount, St. Michael and iron ore hardest hit by the exodus of domestic citizens, causes the external migration in demographic terms a positive net effect. It helps reducing the loss of population and contributes to the improvement of the age structure. Most non-Austrians come from the former Yugoslavia (84 ), followed by Turkey (12) and Germany (10). 8.1% (208 ) had no Austrian citizenship at birth.
95 % of the population of Niklas village native speakers of German with top Irish regional dialects, followed by languages from the former Yugoslavia (especially Croatian, Bosnian and Slovenian). The third strongest language is Turkish. About 30 residents have a mother tongue.
The majority of the population professes the Roman Catholic Church. At the end of the 11th century, the church called " St. was Nicholas in Michel village " built by the pin Göss. The members of the Protestant faiths are clearly in the minority and have in the municipality not own a house of worship. Islamischgläubige and Christian- Orthodox are only marginally represented. The number of unchurched is well over 10 % and rising.
Niklas village belongs to LEADER region Styrian Iron Road and November 18, 2009 Regionext small Murtal to Leoben. In the municipality of structural reform 2010-2015, the municipality will probably remain independent.
Culture and sights
Gateway to the Iron Road ( Design: Georg Brandner )
Water tower with the largest label in the world
Niklas Strand pool
Pedestrian bridge to Köllach
Event center Niklas village
Sons and daughters of Niklas village:
- Herwig Ebner, 1928-2010 ( historian )
- Alfred Heindler, 1927-2005 (politicians, humorist )
- Alaric Wallner, 1922-2005 (Composer, Conductor)