The Nintendo DSi is a gaming console and the second revision of the original Nintendo DS. Games for the DS and DS Lite are compatible with the DSi, accounted for backward compatibility with games for the Game Boy Advance.
The case of the DSi is similar to the DS lite: It's just a little lighter and flatter, while also slightly longer and wider. The screens of the Nintendo DSi were brighter and larger by 17 % in the area. In addition, both the maximum volume and the sound quality was increased by a new codec chip. The old slider, which served to control the volume, was replaced by two high / low volume keys. In addition, the DSi supports encryption standards WEP, WPA and WPA2 in DSi games or programs. In normal DS games, however, is only WEP available, since the DSi is then located in a compatibility mode.
- 2.1 Nintendo DSi Camera
- 2.2 Nintendo DSi Browser 2.2.1 Features / Limitations
- 2.4.1 Firmware updates for the DSi and DSi XL
- 3.1 Nintendo DSi XL Special Edition Pack
The DSi has two built-in 0.3 megapixel VGA cameras. The images are stored either in the 256 MB system memory or to an optional SD card. As of firmware version 1.4 it is possible to upload the camera -made images on Facebook, if you are registered there. Also, selected photos from the Start menu to display.
The DSi Shop allows players to download games from Nintendo Points on the DSi. These will be displayed similar to the Start menu as in the Wii and can be started from there. The games offered are differentiated into four different classes: there are, in addition to playing for 2 € (200 Points ) and 5 € ( 500 Points ) and free and premium games, which differ in price.
If you want to purchase software in the DSi Shop, you need to so-called Nintendo Points. You can buy it in the shop as a Nintendo Points card. Alternatively, you can buy Nintendo Points with credit card via the DSi Shop. Nintendo Points Cards are available in various price ranges:
On the Nintendo DSi is playable software for older models (such as Nintendo DS lite). Unlike the older Nintendo DS models, it is not possible on the Nintendo DSi to play software for the Nintendo Gameboy Advance, because the DSi has no GBA slot more. When Nintendo DSi it is now also possible in addition to module - games to download software on the DSi. ( See section DSiWare )
Nintendo DSi Camera
The Nintendo DSi camera allows the user to edit its previously shot images with the following filters:
- ( The picture may be distorted arbitrarily ) travesty
- Graffiti (there are various pens and stamps are available with which you can draw on the image )
- Coloration ( certain areas can be colored )
- Range (the color of certain areas may be changed)
- Kaleidoscope ( a kaleidoscope effect)
- Masquerade (adds face recognition using various objects (such as a pair of glasses, a beard ... ) are added. )
- Facial expressions ( facial expressions of a face recognition is using its influence )
- Morphing (you can " merge " two faces to each other )
- Comparison ( comparing two faces and then gives possible values of (such as relatives, strangers, ...))
Nintendo DSi Browser
The DSi has a browser with which you can go over Wi -Fi to the Internet. This is based on the Opera browser version 9:50 and is freely available on the Nintendo DSiShop. However, on pages that require a Flash plugin (eg Youtube ), the content can not be displayed properly because this plugin is missing. Although the resolution is 256x192 pixels of the DSi, can still only 240x176 pixels on both screens for the display of a Web page can be used as the navigation bar and status bar of the browser to use part of the place.
Features / Limitations
Nintendo DSi Sound
With the Nintendo DSi Sound, you can record sound using the internal microphone and listen to the SD card in the AAC format ( mp4) stored music. Stored audio material can be treated with pre- filters and also the tempo and the pitch can be changed.
The Nintendo DSi is the first console, the Nintendo DS range, which offers the functionality of a firmware update the system software. These updates allowed the DSi and DSi XL several improvements and additions, including Upload images to Facebook, an improved face detection and an update of the identifications of the Entertainment Software Self- Regulation Body (USK ).
Firmware updates for the DSi and DSi XL
Nintendo DSi XL
The Nintendo DSi XL (Nintendo DSi LL in Japan ) is an enlarged version of the Nintendo DSi. Published she is 21 November 2009 in Japan and on March 5, 2010 in Europe. The console is available in the colors burgundy, green, blue, yellow and dark brown. In addition, the DSi XL has a new, larger stylus. The outer dimensions are 16.1 x 2.1 x 9.1 cm ( DSi: 13.7 x 1.9 x 7.5 cm). The weight increases by 96 grams to 314 grams. With this magnification, take the measurements of the two screens significantly. The screen size will be increased by 2.18 cm to 10.59 cm. The image resolution is identical to the Nintendo DSi, but looks blurred, since the pixel distances have increased. The internal hardware specifications are identical to the DSi.
Nintendo DSi XL Special Edition Pack
The red DSi Edition is a limited edition on the occasion of the anniversary "25 Years of Super Mario ," which was released on October 22, 2010. The red vessel was fitted with the Super Mushroom, the Fire Flower and a super star. The game New Super Mario Bros. is included. In addition, the DSiWare title Dr Kawashima's Brain Training puns and Dictionary 6 in 1 are already installed on the device.
- Processor: 133 MHz ARM7/ARM9-Kern
- Memory: 16 MB
- Disk space: 256 MB Samsung kmapf0000m - S998 moviNAND flash memory; expandable up to 32GB via SD card slot on the side with SDHC support.
- Screen: 8.3 cm two screens ( xl: 10.7 cm), 256 x 192 pixels ( 262,144 colors). The bottom screen is a resistive touch screen.
- Sound chip: PAIC3000D
- Current firmware: 1.4.5E
- Cameras: The 0.3 megapixel ( 307,200 pixels, 640x480 pixels ( VGA resolution ) ) front and main camera at the back