Nomura Holdings K. K. (Japanese野村 ホールディングス 株式会社, Nomura hōrudingusu Kabushiki - gaisha ) is a Japanese company based in Tokyo. The company is listed on the Nikkei 225 equity index.
Nomura was founded in 1925 in Osaka. Currently, the company is led by Kenichi Watanabe. Around 18,000 people (as of 2008) are employed at Nomura. Nomura is acting as financial companies in various services of the financial market.
Nomura Holdings bought on 22 September 2008, the Asian business as well as the investment banking division of the insolvent Lehman Brothers in Europe and the Middle East.
According to the company Nomura is concerned with more than about 27.5 billion yen, or about 300 million U.S. dollars from the Madoff scandal.
- Nomura Securities Co., Ltd..
- Nomura Asset Management Co., Ltd.. (NAM)
- The Nomura Trust & Banking Co., Ltd..
- Nomura Babcock & Brown Co., Ltd..
- Nomura Capital Investment Co., Ltd..
- Nomura Investor Relations Co., Ltd..
- Nomura Principal Finance Co., Ltd..
- Nomura Funds Research And Technologies Co., Ltd..
- Nomura Pension Support & Service Co., Ltd..
- Nomura Research & Advisory Co., Ltd..
- Nomura Business Services Co., Ltd..
- Nomura Satellite Communications Co., Ltd..
- Nomura Facilities, Inc.
- Nomura Institute of Capital Markets Research
- Instinet Inc Chi -X Europe Limited
Nomura Asset Management ( NAM) managed end of 2008, assets of 219 billion U.S. dollars.
Holdings (as of September 2004)
- The Master Trust Bank of Japan, Ltd.. ( Trust Account ) ( 5.92% )
- Japan Trustee Services Bank, Ltd.. ( Trust Account ) ( 5.89% )
- The Chase Manhattan Bank, N. A. London ( 2.99% )
- Depositary Nominees Inc. ( 2.62% )
- State Street Bank and Trust Company ( 505 103 ) ( 2.28% )
- State Street Bank and Trust Company ( 1.79% )
- Nippon Life Insurance Company (1.33 %)
- The Chase Manhattan Bank ( 385 036 ) ( 1.01% )
- The Chase Manhattan Bank N. A. London ( SL Omnibus Account) (0.91 %)
- Toyota Motor Corporation (0.83 %)
Acquisition of Lehman Brothers units
Once the largest U.S. investment bank Lehman Brothers Inc. has filed in 2008 for Chapter 11 bankruptcy on September 15, Nomura has taken over the units Lehman Brothers Asia Pacific for 225 million U.S. dollars. This mainly includes units in Japan, China, Australia and India.
In addition, the investment banking and equities business area in Europe and the Middle East were taken.