Nong Chok District
Nong Chok ( Thai หนองจอก, pronounced Nong Dschok ) is one of the 50 districts (Khet ) of Bangkok, capital of Thailand. Nong Chok is located in the extreme north-east of the urban area.
Nong Chok borders the following other wards ( from north clockwise ): Amphoe Lam Luk Ka of Pathum Thani Province, Amphoe Bang Nam Amphoe Mueang Chachoengsao Priao and the province of Chachoengsao and the following Khet Bangkok: Lat Krabang, Min Buri and Khlong Sam Wa
Nong Chok is the geographically largest district with the lowest population density.
The district was established in 1897 in the reign of King Chulalongkorn as Amphoe. The original inhabitants were Muslims who were expatriated from cities in southern Thailand. In 1902, Nong Chok was a Amphoe a newly established province of Min Buri. Due to economic difficulties in the years 1930-1931 Minburi was dissolved in 1931; Nong Chok was initially assigned to the province of Chachoengsao, the Administration is installed in the following year to Bangkok, because the travel conditions between Nong Chok and Chachoengsao were too difficult.
Even today Muslims form about 75 % of the population, only 22% are Buddhists.
The name of Nong Chok means water lettuce Swamp ( Pistia stratiotes ).
Agriculture was and is the most important part of the economy of Nong Chok. Rice, vegetables, fruits and livestock are the main products. Nong Chok is also known for his fighting cocks and bird cages. Numerous irrigation channels ( Khlongs ) were dug, which served to improve the transport system at the same time.
The district is divided into eight Kwaeng ( sub-districts ):