Noordoostpolder ( listen? / I ) is called a Dutch community, which consists essentially of a former polder, so one of the lake wrested piece of land. The Noordoostpolder was drained in 1942 as part of the Zuiderzee Works and closes to the east of the older mainland, in the West he is today Lake IJsselmeer ( the former Zuiderzee ). Within the polder are the former islands of Urk and Schokland, but Urk is a separate municipality.
The municipality with the capital Emmeloord belongs since 1986 to the newly created province of Flevoland. The other part of the province is the island Flevopolder with which the municipality Noordoostpolder is not connected to the mainland. The more sparsely populated Noordoostpolder is important for high-quality agriculture and horticulture.
The community had on 1 January 2013 as stated by the CBS 46 298 inhabitants.
Biggest place is Emmeloord ( 2004 population 25,000 ). Other places are those built after the Second World War villages Marknesse (2004: 4.000 inhabitants), Nagele, Ens, Creil, Espel, Bant, Rutten, Kraggenburg Luttelgeest and Tollebeek. The former island Schokland also belongs to the municipality.
Location and economic
Through the municipal area leads the A6 motorway. In the south, bordering Noordoostpolder to the Zwarte sea, on the southwest by the Ketelmeer, two lakes on the edge of the IJsselmeer, on the west by the IJsselmeer and on the community of Urk, the north by the municipality Lemsterland in the province of Fryslân (Friesland) and on the east by the province Overijssel. A railroad over Lelystad to Amsterdam or to Zwolle was planned, but will not be executed. Emmeloord is the economic and cultural center of the community.
At Mark Esse is the National Aeronautics and Space Laboratory of the Netherlands ( NLR) with the German -Dutch wind tunnel for testing of aircraft and vehicles. Also, is there a section of the ( led by the Technical University of Delft) watercourse skilled laboratories (TL Delft Hydraulics ), where dams and other waterworks are tested by exposing a model of trailing floods and storm surges.
The (former) island Schokland (52 ° 38 ' 14 " N, 5 ° 46' 29" O52.6373345.77466 ), which was already inhabited during the Bronze Age, was recolonized from the 9th century. Traces of mounds and dykes were discovered after the reclamation of the polder. Schokland was four kilometers long and initially a few kilometers wide. The erosion by the Zuiderzee made Schokland to inhabit increasingly narrow and dangerous. The threatened by loss of land island belonged to various 1660 members of the Van de Werve family, a short time she was in the hands of Andries de Graeff, thereafter to belong to 1792 the city of Amsterdam as Ambachtsherrlichkeit. It had 695 inhabitants in 1840 still, especially in the village Emmeloord (after the "new" Emmeloord was named ). The community Schokland was dissolved in 1859, relocated the residents to Volendam, Kampen and other places. When you meet a carrier of the family name Schokker, so the chance is high that one of his ancestors has experienced this evacuation. The church, built in 1834, was preserved Schokland the only building that time.
During the occupation, until 1945, many people in hiding were semi - illegal work and refuge, the Dutch resistance movement had here their retreat. In 1995, the " Schokland and Surroundings " was included in the UNESCO World Heritage List as a cultural landscape of " exceptional universal value " and therefore of particular value.
Emmeloord Church: De kerk Gereformeerde Hoeksteen
Emmeloord Church: Holy Michaelkerk
Mark Esse, reformische Church
Schokland, the Reformed Church of Middelbuurt
Schokland church ruins
Kraggenburg Reformed Church
Coat of arms
Description: The quartered shield shows the first field in a silver blue lily; in the second on a black gold upward tapering tower with three towers built and towed Torgatter and two tagbelichteten windows, in the third are located in the Golden five red strips diagonally right; Fourth in the blue a silver mill wheel. On the shield rests a golden crown.