North American X-10
The North American X-10, was similar to the Bell X -9, a technology demonstrator of advanced missile technology.
The development of a long -range surface -to-surface missile at North American led to the RTA -A -5, which was later renamed to the X -10 and had its maiden flight on 14 October 1951. The last descendant of the X-10 was the SM-64 Navaho intercontinental ballistic missile.
The X-10 was powered by two jet engines and could start as a normal aircraft and land. The fully movable canards and delta wings were later also used in the SM-64 Navaho. The X-10 was controlled with a radio control system, and had an autopilot in order to ensure a stable attitude. Later, the X-10 were equipped with an internal navigation system.
At the time, the X-10 was the fastest -powered jet engines and aircraft reached a maximum speed of Mach 2.05. The program was conducted with great success until began testing on the SM-64 Navaho in November 1956. In 1955 the program was moved to Cape Canaveral, where the flight tests were added to 1959 again. Of the 13 built X-10 survived only one. The others were destroyed in accidents on landing or as target drones.