Yukon - Koyukuk Census Area
Nulato is a small city in the Yukon - Koyukuk Census Area of the U.S. state of Alaska. In the census of 2000, it had 336 inhabitants with an Indian - share of almost 93%.
Nulato is located on the right bank of the Yukon River north of the mouth of the Nulato River at the foot of Nulato Hills, 53 kilometers west of Galena. On the opposite side of the river is the Innoko National Wildlife Refuge.
The Koyukon, a group of Athabaskan had in the region of today's settlement depositories that they left when they followed herds of animals on their walks. Between Koyukuk River Nowitna and there were several places that were used for fishing in the Yukon.
In Nulato Koyukon and trade between the Kobuk River -based on Inupiat took place before the arrival of the first Europeans. Built in 1838, the Russian explorers Malakov a trading post.
After the purchase of Alaska from Russia, the U.S. military built a telegraph line along the north side of the Yukon River. The Gold Rush of 1884 brought new diseases in the region and cost many Indians life. 1887 a mission station and a school were built. A measles epidemic in 1900 reduced the population by a third.
1900 reached the steamboat traffic on the Yukon with 46 ships per day its peak. Nulato served as a supply point for firewood.
The gold seekers left the Yukon in 1906 towards Fairbanks and Nome. In 1919, lead mining in neighboring Galena.
Since 1963, Nulato, the city law. 3 km from the original center was opened in 1981 removed extra land.
Nulato alternates with Kaltag in the organization of the annual Stick Dance Festival, which keep people from the region gather to commemorate the deceased with dances.