Nuvilly ( Freiburg Patois Nuviyi? / I ) is a municipality in the district Broye the canton of Fribourg in Switzerland.
Nuvilly is located on 629 m above sea level. M., 9 km west-southwest of Payerne (air line) in the Fribourgese exclave Estavayer -le- Lac. The scattered village extends on a ridge on the eastern flank of the Petite Glane, in Molassehügelland of northwestern Fribourg Mittelland.
The area of 4.0 km ² large municipality area includes a portion of the Molassehügellandes between Lake Neuchâtel and the middle Broyetal. The area is bounded to the west in parts of the Petite Glane, a small part is also left of the stream. From the Petite Glane, the communal land on the plateau of Nuvilly and the bordering north elevation d' Aumont skin stretches (656 m above sea level. M. ). In the southeast, the area extends to the height of Aclex forest and reached the Bois Mounet 745 m above sea level. M. the highest point of Nuvilly. From the municipality surface 1997 accounted for 5% on settlements, 19 % of forest and shrubs and 76 % to agriculture.
To Nuvilly include some individual farms. Neighboring communities of Nuvilly are Murist and Les Montets in the Canton of Fribourg and Sassel Combremont -le- Grand and Treytorrens (Payerne ) in the canton of Vaud.
With 388 inhabitants ( 31 December 2012) Nuvilly is one of the small communities of the Canton of Fribourg. Of the 95.2 % inhabitants are French-speaking, German-speaking 3.4 % and 0.7 % speak Portuguese (as of 2000). The population of Nuvilly amounted in 1900 to 389 inhabitants. During the 20th century, the population increased by strong emigration to 1970 continuously by almost 40 % to 238 inhabitants from. Since then a slight population growth was recorded again.
Nuvilly was until the second half of the 20th century, mainly coined by farming village. Due to the water power of the Petite Glane a mill formerly operated. Even today, the farming and fruit growing and dairy farming and livestock have an important place in the economic structure of the population. More jobs are in small local manufacturing and services available, including in a company in the construction industry. In recent decades, the village has developed into a residential community. Many workers are therefore commuters who work mainly in the regions Estavayer -le- Lac and Payerne.
The community is located off the major thoroughfares on a link road from Payerne to Combremont- le -Grand. By Bus Transports Publics Fribourgeois, serving the hinterland of Estavayer -le- Lac out in a circular course, Nuvilly is connected to the public transport network.
The first written mention of the village was carried out in 1242 under the name Nuovillie. Later, the names Nuvilie ( 1317 ) published, Nuvillye ( 1343 ), Nuuilli ( 1665) and Nuiullie (1668 ). The etymology of the place name is not clear. Nuvilly is either derived from the Gallo-Roman personal name Novellius or go to the Latin words Novelli ( fundi ) return (new reclaimed areas made ).
Since the 14th century Nuvilly is owned by the Lords of Chenaux ( Estavayer ), but also had the lords of La Molière real property in the municipality. After Bern 1536 had conquered the Vaud, Nuvilly came under the rule of Freiburg and the Bailiwick Estavayer was assigned. After the collapse of the ancien régime (1798 ) belonged to the village during the Helvetic Republic and the subsequent time to the district Estavayer and in 1817 the district Surpierre before it was incorporated in 1848 in the District Broye.
The parish church of Saint -Jacques was built in 1690.