Castle Bipp

Oberbipp is a municipality in the Oberaargau the canton of Bern in Switzerland.


Oberbipp is located at 500 m above sea level. M., 12 km northeast of Solothurn ( straight line ). The village is located on the flat alluvial fan, which the village stream has formed at the foot of the Jura in the course of time, on the gently undulating surface of Bipperamtes at the foot of Höllchöpfli, in the Upper Aargau.

The area of ​​8.5 km ² large municipality area includes a portion of the northern Bernese Mittelland. The main part of the territory occupied by the rolling countryside of the Bipperamtes. During the high stage of the Ice Age, the Rhone Glacier stretched as far as the neighborhood of Wangen an der Aare and piled in front of his tongue on a lot of moraine. A large part of these former terminal moraine is today from Längwald covered in the Chällerrain on the edge of the Aare valley 510 m above sea level. M. reaches its highest point. North to the Längwald includes a gravel plain, only a small proportion of Ränkholzes between Oberbipp and Niederbipp heard of the municipality. Also located in the moraine south of the village the Erlimoos, a nature reserve with a pond.

To the north- west of the municipality floor extends into the headwaters of the village stream and several hillside terraces ( Stierenweid, Brächbüel ) up to the step edge of the terrain projection of Wolfisberg where 660 m above sea level. M. the highest point of Oberbipp is achieved. The geomorphology of the Jura south slope at Oberbipp is the product of a massive landslide that occurred at the end of the crack ice age, when the retreat of the glacial Rhone glacier was eliminated the stabilizing effect of the ice. Therefore, the southern limb of the anticline the first Jura chain slipped and left a large landslide zone, also evident in the Vorhügelzone the Bipp castle. From the municipality surface 1997 12 % came from settlements, 38 % of forest and woody plants, 49 % in agriculture and somewhat less than 1% was unproductive land.

To Oberbipp include various individual farms. Neighboring communities of Oberbipp are Wolfisberg Niederbipp, Bannwil, Walliswil at Niederbipp, Wiedlisbach and Rumisberg.


With 1653 inhabitants ( 31 December 2012) Oberbipp one of the smaller municipalities in the canton of Bern. Of the residents 91.9 % are German, 1.9 % and 1.5 % speak Serbo-Croatian albanischsprachig (as of 2000). The population of Oberbipp amounted both 1850 and 1900 to 801 inhabitants. During the 20th century, the population increased to 1970 slightly to 999 people. Since then, a significantly greater increase in population was recorded.

Economy and infrastructure

Oberbipp was until well into the 20th century a predominantly coined by farming village. Even today, agriculture thanks to the fertile soil and the livestock and forestry have a certain role in the occupational structure of the population.

Many other jobs are in the manufacturing and services available. Especially on the eastern edge of the village has changed since the 1970s, a larger industrial and commercial zone formed. In today Oberbipp companies in the packaging technology of metal construction, the construction industry, the electrical industry, information technology, a tank farm, carpentry and mechanical repair shops are represented. In recent decades, the village has developed thanks to its attractive location into a residential community. New residential areas have been built on a slope above the village center. Many workers are therefore commuters who work mainly in the larger towns along the Jurasüdfusses between Solothurn and Olten.

Cheese dairy

The dairy cooperative initiated in the year 1913/14, the construction of a modern dairy. 1980 a very modern and modern dairy facility was built. In 1997, the roof was re-covered and made ​​an outside renovation. The freight consolidation has led to the construction of seven new agricultural settlements. Today ten suppliers deliver approximately 1 million liters of milk per year (1934 63 suppliers have the same amount of milk milked ). End of April 2003, the last three Emmental cheeses were produced. Today are produced with about half of the milk quantity different soft cheeses, yogurt, pasteurized milk and milk drinks. The residual amount of milk is picked up.

Water supply

1971-1973 was " seasoning " with the construction of the current water reservoirs and the pumping station " Boll " is an important step for a modern water supply done. A first community water supply was created in 1890. The construction of the regional water pumping station of 2001 " Hasenrain " ( " Wabi ") was closed the last gap in both quantitative and qualitative terms in the water composite Bipperamt.



The community is a very good transport developed. It lies on the main road 5 of Solothurn Olten. The nearest links to the A1 ( Bern- Zurich ), which runs through the municipality, is located approximately 3 km from the center. On January 9, 1918, the narrow gauge railway line Solothurn- Niederbipp Railway was taken with a station in Oberbipp in operation. The route will be operated by the Aare Seeland mobil today.


The first mention of a school in Oberbipp are already found in 1673. Instruction was issued by the local priest. The classroom was on the first floor of the " Buchistöcklis ", which was rebuilt in 1823 after a devastating fire. 1823 Today's parish hall was built as the first school house, even before the division into a burger and municipality. 1935 were placed with two - bay two further extensions schoolroom.

On the initiative of the Women's Association, a kindergarten was created from 1971 to 1972. In 1992 this was extended and roofed and built new homes.

1971-1973 created the community a new primary school system with multi-purpose hall and sports field. The school was founded in 1994 and expanded in 1995 and thoroughly restored.

The School of the total parish Oberbipp located since its founding in 1860 in Wiedlisbach. From 1860 to 1900, the secondary school students of the parishes cheeks were informed by the river and Niederbipp Wiedlisbach. The founding of the School Wiedlisbach is to thank the former pastors of the three parishes.


The territory of Oberbipp been inhabited since very early, which could be detected by the excavation of the remains of a Roman settlement. The first documentary mention of the place was already in the year 866 under the name Pipinensis; of 968 is Pippa handed. Only at the beginning of the 14th century, however, an unambiguous assignment is possible: bipolar superioris (1302 ), BIPPA supra ( 1318 ), Superior Bipp ( 1327 ), Obernbippa ( 1388 ) and superiors Bypp ( 1411 ). Bipp goes back to the Germanic personal name Bippo or Pippin and accordingly is property of Bippo / Pippin.

Since the Middle Ages Oberbipp was under the Landgraviate Buchsgau, which was administered by the Counts of Frohnburg. It was in the reign Bipp, whose western part of 1297 came to the Counts of Neuchâtel - Nidau ​​. In other Oberbipp shared the fate of the reign Bipp, which has undergone numerous changes of ownership. As part of this rule, the village in 1413 came under the joint management of Berne and Solothurn. After the division of Buchsgaus Oberbipp 1463 came under the sole sovereignty of Bern and the bailiwick Bipp been assigned. The bailiff resided until 1798 on the situated above the village of Castle Bipp. After the last Vogt had to leave the castle as a result of the invasion of the French, it was looted and burnt down by the village population.

After the collapse of the Ancien Régime (1798 ) Oberbipp belonged during the Helvetic Republic to the district from 1803 to the cheeks and upper cheeks Office, which received the status of an office district with the new cantonal constitution of 1831.

To 1829 was in Oberbipp a community whose administration worried the treasurer. The new Chantelle Regulations and the Bernese community law of December 20, 1833 made ​​the distinction between civic community and the municipality can not be postponed. The excretion Treaty of 1837 is, with minor modifications, still in force today. On July 19, 1832 Jacob Mägli was the first municipality Assembly, which was very well attended by 52 voters elected the first mayor. Today Kurt Zobrist - Mösching officiates as 30 council & mayor in a person. On 1 January 2011, the 12 community writer Heidi minority Stampfli has taken office, Rudolf Felber was 1832, then been chosen yet in the next office to the first writer.

Coat of arms

The oldest and most valuable heraldic coat of arms is in the choir of the village church, in a church window on the left side, from 1659 to arise. Shown are three fir trees on a green three mountain.

At the municipal coat of arms cleanup in the canton of Bern in 1947 the town received the current coat of arms: three linden trees on a green Dreienberg enter the topographical location again. A view from the south towards the village shows the coat of arms in the flesh: the village, nestled between two Jura terraces; one hand, the west Talackern with the "Schlossberg", on the other hand, the east Räben and the two bull pastures show the three green mountain. On the Linde place in the village center as well as on a knoll in front of the castle Bipp and in protecting house on the Lower Stierenweid will find one of these three crest lime trees. In the summer of 1976, three lime trees were planted as a symbolic emblem for the new school building.


The village church is under excavation on a Carolingian church back, which was later replaced by a Romanesque basilica. The present building of the church was built in 1686 according to plans by Abraham Dünz while the front tower nor the predecessor of the period dates to 1487. The rectory was built in 1629-1630. In the old village core characteristic of peasants and town houses and granaries from the 17th to 19th centuries have been preserved. Since 1988, the center figured in the inventory of estimable village scenes in Switzerland.

As part of extensive excavations from 1959, the foundations of previous buildings and the remains of a Roman villa from the 2nd century AD, have been uncovered beneath the church, which are open to the public today.

On a ledge above the village the castle Bipp, focus is on the former rule Bipp. The castle was founded in the 13th century and later modified several times in 1798 burned down and gradually fell into disrepair ruin. 1852 was the terrain in the possession of a Basler family, which built the mansion in 1855 on the site of the former grain house. The ruins and ramparts of the old castle are restored, but will be privately owned and are not accessible.

The dolmen of Oberbipp 2011 was discovered when a large granite slab in a pasture during detailed investigations, proved to be the top plate of a Neolithic collective grave. The dolmen of Oberbipp belongs to a type rarely preserved tombs in Switzerland. The excavations are not yet complete.