Oberengstringen is a municipality in the district of Dietikon the canton of Zurich in Switzerland.
Coat of arms
The oldest representation of the coat of arms municipality of Oberengstringen is from 1792 on a bucket of the fire, which, however, no longer owned by the fire department.
The municipality is situated on the outskirts of Zurich, the Limmat right. Oberengstringen is located on the outskirts of Zurich, precisely, the district Hoengg. From the community area are 23.5% agriculture, 25.8 % is covered by forest, 8.9% is traffic area and 39.0% urban area and 2.8% are waters.
In the year 870 is first mentioned in a deed of name Enste Lingen. Landeloh, a descendant of the Alemanni Uradels and owners richer Ergüter in Zürichgau, donated his own church to Hoinga ( Hoengg ) together with the many goods on the right side of the Limmat Valley Kloster Sankt Gallen. At the same time Landeloh received these goods, increased by sanktgallische fief, including a Hube ( courtyard) in Enste Lingen ( Engstringen ), to lifelong usufruct back. The place name Lanz Rain ( = Landelohs Rain) is a reminder of this Alamannic descendants. In the High Middle Ages, the majority of today's municipal area was owned by the Regensberger. In addition, the Counts of Rapperswil, the Barons of Wasserstelz and the Habsburgs temporarily possessed some goods. Since that time, the separation is in the upper and Unterengstringen. When the rainy Berger for their lush lifestyle and due to the ongoing feuds impoverished piece went on in the 14th century to piece their property in Oberengstringen to the monasteries and driving Wettingen. The advocacies have been since 1306 by the abbot of Einsiedeln ( to whom the monastery drive to this day belongs ) to stadtzürcherische citizens awarded, during the High or blood jurisdiction remained in the hands of the county of Baden. In 1435 came the rights of the court rule Weiningen to Zürcher Meyer family of Knonau which exercised these rights for centuries and only in 1798 it had to give in the demise of the Old Confederacy. 1798 Liberty Tree was planted on the village square and the church recognized as a full zürcherischer place. The liberal era in the 19th century brought the first Oberengstringen industry. In place of the lance Rain- mill, which probably came from the earliest times, the Bebiésche cotton factory was built which employed for decades to 60 workers. This factory also built the still existing boarding-house. When this first factory on Oberengstringer basic operation had to stop again, the houses were inhabited mainly by workers who were employed in Schlieren. In the 19th century the population of Oberengstringen rose to 400 people. The development of Oberengstringen was inhibited because the village was cut off from the traffic development in the Limmat Valley until the 20th century: the Spanish - Brötli railway was built on the left side of the Limmattal and the Limmat Street train departed from Zurich via streaks and Unterengstringen after Weiningen and thus tangierte not the municipality of Oberengstringen. Through the incorporation of Hoengg to Zurich in 1934 Oberengstringen became a direct neighbor of the big city, which was one of the reasons for the boom and the rapid development of Oberengstringen from a rural village to a Agglomerationsgmeinde. As the infrastructure of the former village of the growing population had become too small, including the Municipal House, the churches of the Reformed and the Catholic National Church, but also shops, schools and were created in the second half of the 20th century in a short time, our own cemetery.
The SVP has 15.5 percent, the SP 21.0 percent, 18.1 percent, the FDP, the Greens 5.5 per cent, the CVP 8.5 percent and the EPP 2.2 percent of the vote.
Mayor André Bender ( SVP, as of August 2012).
As was mentioned in the year 870 Engstringen first documentary, was located in the municipality already a small country chapel, which was dedicated to St. Verena. Here fairs were read and kept resignations, but she was cared for by the parish church of Hoengg. The ecclesiastical supervision exercised by the Bishop of Constance. After the Reformation in 1523, the chapel was deconsecrated in Verena Engstringen and then used as a residence and storage until it was finally canceled in 1897. For pastoral care in Oberengstringen remained until the 20th century, the Reformed and later the Catholic parish Hoengg responsible.
Today, there are two churches in Oberengstringen:
- The Reformed Church has in the village center, the Reformed Church Oberengstringen, which was built in 1984. The church is located on the upper floor of the building and has an artistically designed wooden ceiling. Next to it is the built in 1951 reformed parish house, the hall was used until the construction of the present church as a worship space. The separation Oberengstringens of the Reformed parish Hoengg had taken place until January 1, 1977.
- The Roman Catholic Church is represented in Oberengstringen with the parish of St. Mauritius. The Catholic parish Oberengstringens emerged as the reformed only in the second half of the 20th century and was previously also part of the ecclesiastical structures of Zurich - Hoengg. The parish is named after St. Mauritius, because the church in Hoengg was dedicated to this saint until the Reformation. In the years 1961-1962 the architect Fritz Metzger built the church at the Zurich Street including parish center and rectory. In 1963, the parish of St. Mauritius was established and separated from the parish of the Holy Spirit in Zurich - Hoengg. The Catholic parish of Oberengstringen also manages the Catholics in Unterengstringen.
Oberengstringen has three school buildings. These are the Allmendfeld, the vineyard - Gubrist and GSH ( Goldsmith heap - Sunnerain ). In the meantime, there were plans to build a very large school center. They were rejected. In the largest school building ( Allmendfeld ) the advanced level is established. The lower and middle stages are placed in the other two school units.
Current school president is Elsbeth of Atzigen.