Oberkochen is a city in Ostalb in Baden-Württemberg.
- 2.1 religions
- 2.2 Demographics
- 3.1 municipal
- 3.2 Coat of Arms
- 3.3 Twin towns
- 4.1 traffic
- 4.2 Established businesses
- 4.3 authorities
- 4.4 educational institutions
- 4.5 Leisure and sports facilities
- 5.1 Museums
- 5.2 Nature Reserves
- 5.3 Buildings and Ruins
- 5.4 Regular events
- 6.1 Sons and daughters of the town
Oberkochen is located in the valleys and over the stove and opening out here in him Langertsbaches Albuch between the west and north and Härtsfeld in the east. The highest point of the mountian is located on the top of Volkmarsdorf mountain ( 743 m above sea level. NN ). A little south of the city stems from the stove to 499.2 m above sea level. NN from a strong karstic spring.
The city consists essentially of two separate settlement parts: the downtown, with the settlement areas Spitztal, Lenzhalde and fountains stockpile are fused, and from about 100 m higher, the northeastern district of Heath.
The town of Oberkochen include the place Heide and the hamlet of Cross Mill and the disposed villages Zwerenberg, Kreutz Home, Echmannsweiler, Tiefentalhäuschen, slag washing, grinding mill and brick cottage.
The oldest documented documentary mention provide two documents from the Ellwanger stock book by January 17, 1335 dar.
Oberkochen belonged to Württemberg first to Oberamt Aalen Aalen and later to the district with which it rose through the district reform in 1973 in the new Ostalb.
In 1968, Oberkochen became a town.
Oberkochen was divided stately from the 14th century; the greater part belonged to the monastery Ellwangen, the smaller the monastery Königsbronn. For this reason the king Bronner part of the town with Württemberg became Lutheran during the Reformation period 1536-1553, while the Ellwanger part remained Catholic. The division of the town led in due time and again to legal problems and disputes that were settled in 1749 in the so-called Aalen Protocol, a treaty between Ellwangen and Württemberg.
Today's Roman Catholic St. Peter and Paul's Church was consecrated on 25 October 1900. It replaced a baroque church, which had become too small and dilapidated.
The first Protestant church was completed in 1583. In 1875 came a new building, which now houses the city library in their place. As a treat injuries sustained numerous evangelical Christians after the Second World War, namely also the church was too small. Therefore, the evangelical church Oberkochen Built in 1968, inaugurated the Church of Reconciliation in the mayor -Bosch-Straße.
Although there was no historical reasons, nor the place had then crossed the it actually required population of 10,000 inhabitants, he became in 1968 a town. It was preceded by the a strong increase in population of the village after the Second World War, of slightly more than 3000 to nearly 8000 inhabitants in 1961, caused by the forced settlement of the Carl Zeiss Group by the American occupation forces. The mayor Bosch, as well as the competent authority expected further growth to the necessary mark of 10,000 inhabitants, so the survey was to the city before then applied for and granted. The 10,000 residents were never achieved. After the survey of the city, the population was steadily declining slightly and is now fallen below 8,000 inhabitants.
Especially many of the new citizens after the end of World War II who moved there with her company from Jena. In addition, there was also a strong influx of workers, because Carl Zeiss quickly expanded to one of the largest optical companies in the world.
The municipal election held on 7 June 2009 yielded the following ratios ( in brackets are the changes to the previous election in 2004 ):
Coat of arms
The blazon of the arms is: " Azure, three ( 2:1) golden roses. "
The coat of arms was introduced in 1968 and is based on the Görig of cooking of 1404. He owned several pieces of land in Oberkochen. The colors were chosen arbitrarily, because no historical colors were known.
- Dives- sur -Mer in France, partnership since 1984
- Montebelluna in Italy, partnership since 1992
- Mátészalka, Hungary, partnership since 2008
Economy and infrastructure
Oberkochen is on the, on long distance without crossing removed, then highway 19, which uses the natural transport corridor of the Kocher- Brenz breakdown Tales by Ostalb pass between the north and Aalen Heidenheim in the south. The nearest motorway junction Aalen- Oberkochen to the Federal Highway 7 ( Flensburg- Füssen) to reach north and then east on the B 19 L and 1084 about 11 km ride at Ebnat. In the valley called the Brenz Railway ( Aalen- Ulm) runs.
Oberkochen had the only German city that has not a single traffic light, an entry in the Guinness Book of World Records.
Carl Zeiss has around 4,000 jobs largest employer in the city. The company manufactures in Oberkochen optical components for now purely civilian purposes. The former line of business Optronics belongs since 2012 to Cassidian. Large mirrors for telescopes and satellites are also produced here. In a new manufacturing plant in the south of the city, Carl Zeiss SMT GmbH ( Semiconductor Manufacturing Technology) manufactures highly sophisticated optical systems for semiconductor manufacturing. Since April 2013, the Carl Zeiss Meditec is also located here. Worth seeing is the Optical Museum in the Carl -Zeiss-Straße, in which optical devices of medieval glasses are seen to space optics. In summer 2014, the museum is open to the public again after renovation.
In addition, there are several companies that manufacture tools. For example, the Leitz company in the field of woodworking is especially active and its subsidiary LMT as a specialist for tools for metalworking.
Oberkochen has more jobs than working age residents, so it is a commuter town.
Oberkochen is the Bundeswehr Institute of certification Ulm.
At the Ernst-Abbe -Gymnasium, a Science High School, which is also the center for molecular biology school, a high school can be stored. There are also the Dreißentalschule a primary and secondary school, with the Animal Stone school a pure primary school and with the sun mountain school special education.
In addition, there are three municipal kindergartens and a Roman Catholic school.
Leisure and sports facilities
- Swimming pool " aquafit "
- Carl Zeiss Stadium (two grass pitches and artificial turf )
- Three sports halls and a gymnasium and festival hall
- Mini-golf course ( in Heath district )
- Tennis courts
- Ski lift on the mountain folk Mars
Culture and sights
- Optical Museum and Exhibition Centre by Carl Zeiss
- Heritage Museum in Schiller House
With a height of 743 m is the People's Mars Hill of "House Mountain" of Oberkochen. Surrounded by beautiful moorland dominates the People's Mars Mountain Tower, an observation tower of the Swabian Alp Association, from where the climbers on a clear day, the Alps can consider. Hiking trails and managed at the weekend club houses line the valley. View spots like the Rodstein ( 695 m) and the March humpback high above the level fountain invite you to linger.
Between the two neighboring communities a special kind of trail has been posted. The Karstquellenweg connects more than 15 stations, the main water risers of the upper Brenz and Kocher valley on this side and beyond the European watershed. Three ring routes are signposted.
Several sources that continuously cut deeper into the mountainside, spring south of town on the Albuchseite of Urbrenztales. This stove origin with an average bed of 680 l / s, the largest of several karst springs in Oberkochen. Between 1551 and 1634 there was a ironworks of the Duke of Württemberg on the site. There a slag laundering this from destruction during the Thirty Years' War, whose dark slag residues in the river bed "Black Kettle " motivated the name of the Kocher- Hauptquellarms. The weaker Dividend Payment origin of the White digester is located about 7 km north-east at Unterkochen the crow flies.
Buildings and Ruins
- The Römerkeller When hiking car park north of Oberkochen ( range: 48 ° 47 ' 9 " N, 10 ° 7' 36 " O48.78597222222210.12675 ) dug students of the local high school in the early 1970s under the expert guidance the foundations of a Roman estate ( villa rustica) from.
- Bilzhaus Since the 14th century the settlement " Bilz " is about 2.5 km west of Oberkochen ( range: 48 ° 46 ' 47 " N, 10 ° 4' 6" O48.77963888888910.068222222222 ) occupied. In the 17th century the settlement was abandoned, but used the main house until 1830. The foundations have been excavated from the home club Oberkochen, students and members of the ijgd from 1989.
- Catholic parish church of Saints Peter and Paul ( 1900)
- Held annually forming town festival with cultural events, a Palio race car and a street festival with international delicacies
- Be held by the volunteer fire department Heidenfest
- International Jazz Lights
Sons and daughters of the town
- Christian Hornberger (1831-1881), a Protestant missionary
- Pfaudler Caspar (1861-1889), German -American brewmaster
- Willibald man (* 1925), German master carpenter, architect and author
- Georg Brunnhuber (* 1948), German politician ( CDU), Member of Parliament ( 1990-2009 )
- Markus Elmer (* 1952), German football player (VfB Stuttgart, Bayer 04 Leverkusen)
- Marianne Thomann -Stahl (born 1954 ), German politician (FDP)
- Thomas A. Vilgis (* 1955), German physicist