- ÖVP: 6
- SPÖ: 3
Oberzeiring is a market town in the district and the district Unterzeiring Mur Valley in Styria in Austria with 854 inhabitants (as of 1 January 2013). The municipality is located in the judicial district Jews castle.
The market Oberzeiring has become famous thanks to a clever emphasis of its history to the former silver mine. The market is located approximately 500 people, the community Oberzeiring has about 900 inhabitants, among which are also courts of mountain farmers, which are up to 1,400 meters in altitude.
- 2.1 Mining in Oberzeiring
- 8.1 freeman
- 8.2 Sons and daughters of Oberzeiring
Oberzeiring is located on 933 m above sea level in the Wölzer Tauern in Upper Styria.
The municipality comprises the following four localities ( in parentheses population as of 31 October 2011):
- Gföllgraben (61)
- Oberzeiring ( 638 )
- Zeiringgraben (38)
- Zugtal (112)
The municipality comprises the cadastral Oberzeiring.
Long before the Roman period Oberzeiring was settled. An ancient Roman main street "Via Norica " led at least immediately past the settlement in Unterzeiring. Some authors called Unterzeiring with the Roman place names Viscella, but this probably is not right. An intact so-called " Roman Bridge " of a stone arch could actually date from this period. The Roman road was as an economic factor an important link for trade, especially for the salt transport between Northern and Southern Alps ( ie from the Mur valley of the Enns valley ).
Mining in Oberzeiring
Oberzeiring is a medieval mining town, whose silver mine was exploited since the 13th century. Since the 18th century it was assumed that the mine had been flooded during a disaster (as annual figures were in 1158 or 1365 called ). Recent studies, however, have shown that economic reasons, most notably the exhaustion of the deposit, the cessation of mining led in 1400.
From the alleged flooding a legend is told that tells of the spirits and the blood lust of the rich and drunken squires. You could have a little blond boy with a sword cut off his head and used as a bowling ball to her silver cones. The grandmother of the boy she cursed, scattered with poppy seeds a pitcher and said, " So many poppy seeds are here, as long as there will be no more silver in Zeiring blessing." The next day, it tells the gruesome story, water would have broken into the Zeiringer silver mine, the 1400 women would have done to widows.
Many later attempts to pump slowly infiltrated groundwater were again doomed to failure. Many adventurers and treasure hunters, among them mighty men of Emperor Maximilian and Archduchess Maria Theresa thought that under the water would have to be silver deposits. Maximilian I himself lived a short time in Hahn Felden Castle in Unterzeiring, but had to give up his plan to no avail. To this day, holds tenaciously that in no way assignable rumor, even the Nazi regime would have thought, to open up the supposed silver inventory of Oberzeiring. In the 18th and 19th century iron mining trades under the Family and in the 20th century Neuper barite. In the tunnels of Oberzeiring also a very nice light blue aragonite, the so-called Zeiringit was promoted. The occurrence, however, was completely exploited. Oberzeiring name was first mentioned in 1268 as mons cyrich in a princely land register.
Today the silver market Oberzeiring from tourism is alive and known for its Mine and for his asthma healing cave.
- Nature healing galleries for bronchial diseases (asthma healing cave ): Since the air in the tunnel is completely dust - and pollution- free and has many natural curative resources, the success of a 21-day treatment in the tunnel is ( one hour daily ) for respiratory tract disease very large. The air temperature in the healing cave is summer or winter 8 ° C. ( see Related links )
- Mine: The beginning of mining dates back to antiquity. The silver mine Oberzeiring was one of the oldest and largest of the Eastern Alps and the place was famous in the late Middle Ages for its significant silver mine.
Culture and sights
- Parish Church: The Gothic parish church today comes in its core from the time of the early Middle Ages and is dedicated to St. Nicholas.
- Elisabeth Church: The early Gothic Church of St. Elizabeth, a younger church, was built in the heyday of the medieval town and is equipped with remarkable frescoes from the beginning of the 14th century.
- THEO - Theatre Oberzeiring: Culturally Oberzeiring has established itself as a center for theater arts. The theater Oberzeiring, short THEO, staged around 6 to 8 pieces per year. In the current premises found around 200 people. The THEO plays on 2 stages spread around 100 performances per year. What an attendance of 10,000 is reached. In addition to performances in Oberzeiring still around 25 guest performances at home and abroad will be added.
- Theatre Festival: Since 2004, a Theatre Festival will take place at regular intervals. At this time, art and theater lovers from all over Europe gather in Oberzeiring.
Coat of arms
On 1 November 2006, the Styrian government of the municipality gave the right to drive a municipality coat of arms with the following description: In a black shield silver one to the left wing, bearded mountain man in a long, centrally geschürztem mountain coat, drawing on the right knee, a round gegupften hat on his head with both hands and a mountain of iron against the right of the sign foot growing silver rock leader.
Sons and daughters of Oberzeiring
- Günter Eich Berger, born in 1959 ( writer )
- Viktor Elser, 1893-1979 ( politicians of the CPA )
- Franz Xaver Ölzant, born 1934 (sculptor )
- Gerfried Sperl, born 1941 ( journalist)