The settlement is located on the coast of the Okhotsk Sea on the left bank of the same river near its confluence with the Ola Ola Lagoon ( Olskaja laguna ), some kilometers east opens to the sea. Ola is from Oblastverwaltungszentrum Magadan around 30 kilometers in a straight line in an easterly direction.
Ola is the administrative center of the homonymous Rajons Ola.
A first settlement in place of the present village was probably built by Russian Cossacks end 1640s during their penetration to the east, shortly after the first attainment of the Sea of Okhotsk and the founding of the first settlement of Okhotsk. The first written mention of the town dates from the year 1716. During the 19th century, before the establishment of Magadan, was the starting point of Ola Ola - Kolyma tract, the trade route between Ochotskischem sea and the upper reaches of the Kolyma. In place annual fairs were conducted.
On January 4, 1926 Ola administrative center of a newly created Rajons. The landing of a geological expedition under Yuri Bilibin aboard the ( former Japanese ) steamboat Daiboshi Maru in Ola on July 4, 1928 is considered the beginning of the economic development of the Kolyma region in the Soviet period. 1957 Ola was granted the status of an urban-type settlement.
Note :: Census Data
Culture and sights
Since 1976 there is a local museum in Ola.
Economy and infrastructure
Main economic activities are fishing and fish processing. In the area of agricultural activity for the regional supply ( cultivation of potatoes and vegetables, cattle ).
Ola is connected with Magadan on a road that crosses the river Ola at the place with a bridge and further upstream leads to a few kilometers distant villages Saretschny and Gadlja.