Olevano Romano is a municipality in the province of Rome in the Italian region Latium, located about 6688 inhabitants ( 31 December 2012).
- 4.1 twinning
Olevano Romano is located 57 km east of Rome and 50 km northwest of Frosinone. The historic town center extends up the Monte Celeste, a ridge of Prenestini whose southern foothills occupied by the municipality. From here you have a wide view of the valley of the Sacco and the opposite Monti Lepini. The municipality covers an altitude 246-700 m asl
Olevano is a member of the Comunità Montana Valle Aniene.
The municipality is located in the seismic zone 2 (medium endangered).
- Olevano is 17 km from the driveway Colle Ferro on the A1 Autostrada del Sole motorway.
- It is 5 km from the SS 155 Via Prenestina removed, which leads from Rome to Frosinone.
- The nearest train station to the regional railway line Rome - Cassino FR6 is situated 18 km away in Valmontone.
The oldest architectural testimony are the cyclopean walls in the Ara Via de ' Santi, which were created by the Aequi defense against the Romans and are associated with similar fortifications in Bellegra and Roiate. With the final defeat of the Aequians 304 BC, the area was integrated into the Roman Republic. Numerous archaeological finds prove the continued colonization of the area, are present without written messages on a settlement.
After the fall of the Roman Empire, the municipality came to the territory of the abbey of Subiaco. The first written mention as feudum Castro Olibani dates from 958 when Pope John XII. the Benedictine possession confirmed.
Olevano was the target of numerous painters from northern Europe including in particular the so-called German Romans by Joseph Anton Koch in the 19th century. The German art historian Karl Friedrich von Rumohr had in the 1820s in Olevano a Roman villa, whose view was in 1824 held by a watercolor by the German painter Friedrich von Nerly
Located close Olevano oak forest Serpentara was the German Romans a particularly sensitive, sacred oak grove. The planned deforestation in 1873 was prevented by a joint action of art lovers and artists by the Forest was purchased in favor of the German Reich and the German Emperor. A quarter of the cost has been taken over by the painter Carl Schuch. Today the Academy of Arts Berlin maintains for their fellows, Villa Serpentara. A second scholarship is the site for the German Academy Rome Villa Massimo belonging Casa Baldi.
Marco Mampieri was elected in May 2011 to the mayor. His civil list Cittadini per il Cambiamento also with 8 of 12 seats, the majority in the City Council. Previously Guglielmina Ranaldi (PD ) 2001-2011 Mayor.
- Russia Olevano Romano has since 2011 been twinned with the Russian city of Volgograd.
- In medieval Castello Colonna are frescoes from the 16th century.
- Palazzo Baronale
- Art Museum Olevano Romano
The DOC wine Cesanese di Olevano Romano is only grown in the neighboring municipality Genazzano except in Olevano.