Oosterparkbuurt (Amsterdam)

The Oosterparkbuurt is a multicultural residential area in the city of Amsterdam Oost ( North Holland ), emerged in the late 19th century and in 2008 had 10,210 inhabitants.


1881 began with the designation of land in what is now the district and created from 1886 Oosterpark. The final draft of the Oosterpark came from landscape architect Leonard Anthony Springer ( 1855-1940 ). On the border of the Oosterpark since 1926, the Royal Tropical Institute ( Koninklijke Instituut voor de tropics), formerly called " Koloniaal Instituut ".

The Oosterparkviertel is divided into Oosterpark -West and Oosterpark -Oost. It is a multicultural residential area with embossed two shopping centers in the Linnaeusstraat and the Beukenplein, two primary schools and a community center for the residents, a nursing home and two playgrounds. The lying in the district courts Kastanjeplein, Eike Plein and Iepenplein have been thoroughly renovated after 2006.

The district is bounded by the Wibautstraat that Mauritskade and Linnaeusstraat and the railway line Amsterdam - Utrecht.

1884 drove the first " horse tram " ( Paardentram ) for Oosterpark, 1903 came the first electric Amsterdam tram line 9 in the quarter and 1906, the second connection of public transport has been created with the line 11. This was replaced in 1945 by the third line in the course of ongoing urban renewal in the 1970s, many older homes were demolished and new buildings created with larger apartments.

2008 was the tenth time the " Rode Loper Festival " with street market, performances, music and dance, film presentation and activities for children. The museums NiNsee, Uitvaartmuseum, Tropenmuseum and Persmuseum were free accessible. In the common house " 't Blijvertje " Music and poetry were offered and the " Historically Adviesbureau 30-45 ", which specializes in historical advice and information over the years 1900 to 1945, held a nostalgic show with music, people who were historically dressed. An apartment in the Oosterparkbuurt was decorated in the style of before 1945.

Further Reading

Sound Heijdra, Stomweg gelukkig in Amsterdam -Oost. De geschiedenis van Dapperbuurt, " Oosterparkbuurt " Weesperzijdestrook s Transvaalbuurt. Uitgeverij René de Milliano, Alkmaar 1996. ISBN 90-72810-16-3.