Orange (New Jersey)
Orange is a town in Essex County, New Jersey, United States. In the 2000 census, a total population of 32 868 has been registered.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 5.7 km ², and no water surfaces are miteinberechnet.
Orange is located in the city of New York and is about 25 km in a straight line from Manhattan, the center of New York City.
According to the census of 2000, there are 32 868 inhabitants, 11,885 households, and 7,642 families residing in the city. The population density is 5742.3 persons per km ². 13.20% of the population is White, 75.10 % African American, 0.34 % Native American, 1.26 % Asian, 0.10 % Pacific Islander, 5.21 % from other races, and 4.79% mixed race. 12.47% are Hispanic or Latino of any race.
Of the 11,885 households 33.4 % have children under 18 years. 30.7 % are married couples living together, 26.3% are single mothers, 35.7 % are non-families, 30.2% consist of single-person households and 10.5 % of people older than 65, the average household size is 2, 73, the average family size is 3.38.
27.7 % of the population are under the age of 18, 10.0 % from 18 to 24, 32.2% from 25 to 44, 19.3% between 45 and 64, 10.8% older than 65 is the average age 32 years. The ratio of women to men is 100:86,0, for people older than 18 years, the ratio 100:79,1.
The median household income is $ 35,759, and the median income for a family $ 40,852. Males have a median income of $ 33,442, women $ 29,520. The per capita income for the city is $ 16,861. 18.8 % of the population and 15.4 % of families are below the poverty line, including 24.6 % have children younger than 18 years old and 16.7 % of people older than 65
Sons and daughters of the town
- Robert Adams, Photographer
- Stephen J. Benkovic, chemists
- Christopher Collins, movie actor
- John Condit, politicians
- Leo Fitzpatrick, movie actor
- John Harbison, composer
- Dulé Hill, actor
- Mark Kelly, an aerospace engineer and NASA astronaut
- Scott Kelly, an aerospace engineer and NASA astronaut
- George B. McClellan, commander of the Union forces in the American Civil War
- Warren McCulloch, a neurophysiologist and cybernetician
- John Willard Milnor, mathematicians
- Henry O'Neill, theater and film actor
- Daniel Gray Quillen, mathematicians
- Dickinson Woodruff Richards, Internist and Nobel Prize winner
- Roy Scheider, Actor
- Township in New Jersey
- Place in North America
- Essex County (New Jersey)