Osterhever (Danish: Osterhever ) is a municipality in the district of North Friesland Schleswig -Holstein.

  • 6.1 Sons and daughters of the town

Geography and transport

Osterhever located 16 kilometers northwest of Tonning and 12 kilometers northeast of St. Peter -Ording on the peninsula Eiderstedt. A few kilometers south extend the federal highway 202 and the railway line from Husum to St. Peter- Ording.

Augustenkoog is a district of Osterhever.


Archaeological holes on the mound Osterhever that this has been aufgewarftet in the middle ages clothes on, so by tailgating from the seabed entnommenem material originated as storm surge secure survey. The Osterhever polder was dammed in the 12th century. In the late Middle Ages, the parish lost as a result of storm surges land in the north and west to the case mentioned depth of the North Sea towards. The south dike of the subsequent mill Mimhusenkooges was investigated by Dirk Meier 1991. The excavations revealed a low core of the dike 12-13. Century, which was raised repeatedly. All dikes were slumped in the unstable base.

In the Chronicon Eiderostadense vulgare of Commons Eiderstedter chronicle 1103 covers the period to 1547, Osterhever likely to have been the first mentioned: 1113 dead beat the Boyensmänner their church Mr. Harmen Liitke ( Garding ) They were therefore their patronage rights ( right of proposal taken for parochial setting instrumentation). Then the following chapels (...) were built: (...) Osterhever (...).

On 1 January 2002 the municipality Augustenkoog gave up their independence and joined the community Osterhever.


Municipal council

Of the nine seats in the municipal council, the CDU has been the municipal election 2003, four seats, the voter community WGO has three and the voter community WVO two. In the local elections on May 26, 2013, the CDU received 31.5 % of the votes and thus three seats. The WHO came to 34.8 % and three seats. The third grouping the WVO was 33.6 %, which also has three seats. The turnout was 67.3 percent.


For the election period 2013-2018 Peter Theodor Hansen ( WVO ) was elected as the new mayor. He replaced Ove Becker Ketel, who had held the office occupied 23 years.


Main sources of income of the municipality are agriculture and tourism.

Culture and sights

The Osterheversche church, which is situated on a mound originally Romanesque St. Martin Church, has as a predecessor built in 1113 chapel. Well about 200 years later, in the first half of the 13th century, probably the church, which replaced the chapel or to the chapel was extended, have originated in the Romanesque style. From this church there are two smaller windows, the portal of the north wall and part of the sanctuary still in today's construction. 1565 advanced to the altar space around the apse. Later, other enhancements and extensions were added, the roof turret with the bells dates from the year 1908. The church has the carved "Christ on the rest " of 1520, a historic altar block, provided with carving Supper benches that are dated 1753, and a late Gothic triumphal cross group with Mary and the disciple John, who are under the cross.

Before stalls an almost human large baptismal hangs from the ceiling down. Probably in 1822 an old baptismal font was replaced by a baptismal. Generally baptismal were attached to a cable, which was connected via a pulley to a counterweight. As with our angel an eye was fastened in the belt region. With the help of a rod with hooks then the baptismal could be pulled down from his elevated position to the act of baptism. So you had more space in the church for the services. The baptismal font, which ( by the angel holds in his hands ) in the ring was inserted, unfortunately missing. The baptismal was stacking up to 2010 on the floor of the church and was suspended again after a restoration.

In the list of cultural monuments in Osterhever are registered in the list of monuments of Schleswig- Holstein cultural monuments. This includes the " Madonna on the crescent moon ," which was brought back in 2010 after more than 100 years back into the church. The Madonna had been stored in Flensburg Municipal Museum since 1902. Thither she was at the time passing through the furniture manufacturer Heinrich Sauer man who had delved into the North German churches after works of art that had been removed ( after the Reformation ) at the beginning of the 19th century from the churches. Many of these treasures had already been destroyed because of her Catholic past, some lay unnoticed on the church floors - eg. this Madonna.

Under the organ loft is the grave stone Jacob Ulves depicting a warrior with flag and a woman in Eiderstedter costume from the cultural heyday Eiderstedt.

The church is open daily for prayer, contemplation and meditation, and to visit.

Carved from 1520

Madonna from the 16th century

Baptismal of 1822

Supper Left Bank from 1753

Rights Supper Bank from 1753

Outside of East

West side

Late Gothic triumphal cross

Baptismal of 1822

Entrance on the south side

Tomb from 1774


Sons and daughters of the town

  • Hans- Alwin Ketel (* 1913), farmer and politician ( CDU)