Ostfildern is a city in Baden- Württemberg, directly southeast of the state capital Stuttgart. The resulting only in 1975 as part of local government reform town had more than 20,000 inhabitants at its inception. Therefore, it was declared on 1 July 1976 on the major district town. Today she is to Esslingen am Neckar, Filderstadt, Nürtingen, Kirchheim unter Teck and Leinfelden the sixth largest city in the Esslingen Esslingen and belongs to the central region within the upper center of Stuttgart.

  • 2.1 religions
  • 2.2 Population development
  • 3.1 Mayor
  • 3.2 municipal
  • 3.3 Coat of Arms
  • 3.4 Town twinning
  • 4.1 Museums
  • 4.2 Culture
  • 4.3 Structures
  • 4.4 associations
  • 4.5 Regular events
  • 5.1 traffic
  • 5.2 Media
  • 5.3 Established businesses
  • 5.4 Sports School Ruit
  • 5.5 Education
  • 5.6 Supply and Disposal
  • 6.1 freeman
  • 6.2 Sons and daughters of the town


Ostfildern lies to the east of the landscape Filderstadt, a fertile plateau south of Stuttgart. This position gave the city its name, the word is related to realms. In the south of the district of the Körsch flows with their northern tributary streams the Neckar opposite.

Neighboring communities

The following municipalities border on the city of Ostfildern. They are listed clockwise starting in the north- east: Esslingen am Neckar, Denkendorf, Filderstadt (all the district of Esslingen ) and the district-free city Stuttgart.


The urban area Ostfildern consists of the four districts Kemnat, Nellingen, Ruit and Scharnhausen. In the city there are the six districts Kemnat, Nellingen, Parksiedlung, Ruit, Scharnhausen and Scharnhauser Park. ( in alphabetical order)

The district Scharnhauser park was only in the 1990s. By March 2006, there were only four neighborhoods that Parksiedlung and Scharnhauser Park were among Nellingen. In addition, there are more spatially separate living spaces with its own name, but which have very few inhabitants. These include Stockhausen, Neumühlestrasse and Kemnater Hof in Kemnat and Wörnitzhäuser mill in Nellingen.


The city of Ostfildern was on 1 January 1975 by the merger of the formerly independent communities of the district of Esslingen Nellingen on the Fildern, Ruit on the Fildern, Kemnat and Scharnhausen initially under the name community Ostfildern.

With effect from 1 January 1976, the new church received its town charter and a half years later, on July 1, 1976, she was told by the Baden-Württemberg state government to county seat. Meanwhile, the formerly used by the U.S. army barracks Nellingen Barracks was repopulated in the city center. Thus, the new district Scharnhauser arose Park.

  • Kemnat was first mentioned in 1229 as Kemnaten. The name comes from Keminaton, which means as much as heated living space. The place was owned by the monasteries and Bebenhausen Denkendorf. Since Württemberg exercised the advocacy of both monasteries, Württemberg in 1451 had all the magisterial rights over the place. 1449 Kemnat was burned in the war of the cities, but afterwards rebuilt. The municipality was part of the Office or Office Oberamt Stuttgart and came to the district of Esslingen in 1938.
  • Nellingen on the Fildern was first mentioned in 1120 as Nallingen. The local nobility, the precious outdoor Nellingen, designed by a foundation of the monastery of St. Blaise the foundation for the later provost, which was finally established by the monastery of St. Blaise in 1250. Probably already practiced at that time Württemberg, the advocacy of the provost of, but exchanged Württemberg until 1649 Bailiwick against other rights St. Blasien one. The municipality was part of the Office or Office Oberamt Stuttgart and came in 1810 to the upper office Esslingen, from 1938, the district of Esslingen emerged.
  • Ruit on the Fildern ( since April 12, 1967, before " Ruit " before " Ruith ") was first mentioned in 1173 as Rutte. The name means as much as deforestation and was probably created by Nellingen from. With Nellingen Ruit came to Württemberg in the 13th century and belonged from 1382 Bailiwick Nellingen. However, the monastery of St. Blaise had some goods in Ruit. In 1519 the town was reduced to ashes by the imperial city of Esslingen, but afterwards rebuilt. The municipality was part of the Office or Office Oberamt Stuttgart and came to the district of Esslingen in 1938. The addition " to the Fildern " received the community name on 12 April 1967.
  • Scharnhausen was first mentioned in 1242 as Husen. The later addition Scharnhorst was probably by a noble owners Scharre added to distinguish it from other places. The Monastery of St. Blaise had goods in place. After the Scharre the Melzener came, then Rüdiger von Staige. Württemberg had all the magisterial rights at least since the acquisition of the Bailiwick Nellingen also Scharnhausen. Part of the goods were, however, issued a fief. The church belonged to the office or official Oberamt Stuttgart and came to the district of Esslingen in 1938.
  • The Park settlement was founded in 1956 on the site of the former Royal Stud Weil. It is an independent district since 2006.
  • Scharnhauser Park is the youngest district Ostfildern, a 140 hectares of new housing development on a former military barracks, place of residence for 9,000 people and work for 2,500 people. Created is the emerging since the 90s settlement as a garden city, at which half of the total area is cultivated. The core element is a 1.5 -kilometer-long and 40 meter wide landscape stairs which in step drops in a straight line to the south with open views of the Swabian Alb. On both sides of living quarters group each with its own character design, crossed by avenues of trees, open plan to the surrounding landscape

2002, Ostfildern hosts the State Garden Show Baden- Württemberg, which was held in the new town park Scharnhauser.


The population of the four former municipalities of the present town of Ostfildern originally belonged to the diocese of Constance. Since the locations were politically early to Württemberg, the Reformation was also here in 1535 by Duke Ulrich introduced, so they were centuries predominantly Protestant. In the four places there are therefore also each an evangelical church with a church. In Nellingen own parish was established as a result of colonization in the 1950s in the district Parksiedlung. There the Dietrich Bonhoeffer Church was built in 1968. Today, the Dietrich Bonhoeffer Church has its own community, which also includes the Protestants of the new district Scharnhauser Park. The parishes in Nellingen and Scharnhausen formerly belonged to the church district of Esslingen, the other two ( Ruit and Kemnat ) to the church district Degerloch. 1981 all five parishes were the newly founded church district Bernhausen assigned in the urban area Ostfilderns the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Württemberg.

Catholics there are in Ostfildern again only since the 20th century. In all districts Catholic churches were built. In Kemnat 1956 was the Church of St. Mary the Queen. In Ruit the Catholic Church to St. Monica was 1959/60 built, which was elevated to a parish in 1972. Both communities are part of the Dean's Office Stuttgart- Filderstadt of the diocese of Rottenburg- Stuttgart.

In Nellingen the church was built in 1959 to the Holy Trinity, which was elevated to a parish in 1961. The municipality also includes the neighborhoods Scharnhausen and Scharnhauser Park, but there are in Scharnhausen since 1965/65 has its own church, which first belonged to the parish of the neighboring Municipality Filderstadt. The parish is part of the Dean's Office Nellingen Esslingen- Nürtingen of the Diocese of Rottenburg- Stuttgart.

The Vatican newspaper L' Osservatore Romano is published in its German edition Schwabenverlag in Ostfildern.

Besides the two large churches there are in Ostfildern also free churches and communities, including the United Methodist Church ( Church of Reconciliation ) and the Free Church of Seventh- day Adventists, the South German Federation is headquartered here. The New Apostolic Church is represented in Ostfildern with a very modern church.

Since 1994 in Ostfildern a mosque for the citizens of the Muslim faith. In 2010, the new mosque was opened after two years of reconstruction in a former commercial space. Funerals according to Muslim rites are possible in the cemetery Parksiedlung.

Since August 2009, the Bible Seminar King field in Ostfildern is located.

Population Development

The numbers are census results (¹) or official updates by the respective statistical offices ( primary residences only ).

¹ census results



At the top of the city is elected by the population at eight years mayor. He is also Chairman of also elected by the population for five years council. He has served as deputy general a 1st Assistant with the official title of Mayor and Aldermen another with the official title of mayor.

Town leaders since the formation of the City 1975:

Parish council

The city council has 26 members in Ostfildern. The municipal election held on 7 June 2009 yielded the following result:

The City Council consists of the elected honorary councilors and the mayor as chairman. The mayor is entitled to vote in the City Council.

Coat of arms

The coat of arms of the city of Ostfildern shows in geviertem of silver and red shield a vierspeichiges, eight -blade trapezoidal steel in silver and green fields in the red boxes golden tingiertes mill wheel. The city flag is green and white. Coat of arms and flag were awarded by the Stuttgart Regional Council on 23 November 1976.

The quartered shield was the coat of arms of the lords of Nellingen, which later resulted in the same community. For Bailiwick Nellingen were also the places Ruit and Scharnhausen. The mill-wheel is taken from the coat of arms Kemnater, and the color was the coat of arms Ruiter borrowed. In Körschtal there used to be many mills; the water wheel to the agricultural past of the present city symbolize.


Ostfildern maintains with the following cities twinned:

  • Montluel, France, since 1978
  • Poltava, Ukraine, since 1988 ( joint partnership with Filderstadt and Leinfelden )
  • Mirandola, Italy, since 1987/88, official twinning since 2002
  • Hohenems, Austria, since 1988, official twinning since 2009

Friendships are made with

  • Reinach, Switzerland, since 1965
  • Radebeul, Saxony, since 1990
  • Bierawa, Poland, since 1992

Culture and sights


  • Municipal Gallery in Ostfildern townhouse


Ostfildern has a vibrant cultural life in music and theater area. The most famous theater group in the city are the sliding block. In the field of music, the city has one of the few of this magnitude its own symphony orchestra, the Filderstadt harmony. For events, the center of the hall in Nellingen two concert halls and theaters, which were built in 1989 on the site of the old tram depot in the town center. They can accommodate 150 to 300 spectators. More places for cultural events are the Kubino in Nellingen, the great hall of the town house in Scharnhauser Park, the Waldheim hall and the rooms of the youth center Zinsholz in Ruit and the Festhalle in Kemnat.


Ostfildern has little historical buildings. In Nellingen district are still several buildings of the monastery square obtained and that the Provost was built in the 16th century ( one of the landmarks of the city), the old rectory of 1565 or fruit box with stepped gable. The neighboring Protestant Church of St. Blaise is the former Provost Church. Conserves the late Romanesque octagonal tower with a tent roof. The ship was rebuilt in 1777. In the other districts the old churches were demolished in the 1950s and 1960s and replaced by new buildings: Kemnat in 1963 ( the predecessor was from the 13th century ), in Ruit also in 1963 and in Scharnhausen 1952 / 53rd There is still a castle, which was built in 1784 by order of Duke Carl Eugen of Württemberg as a pleasure palace.

The resulting since the 1990s Scharnhauser Park was honored for design and architecture in many ways. Award Winners include the brick school by Arno Lederer, the children's house of Janson and Wolfrum and point blocks of carbon and carbon Hoff Hoff. The town house of the Berlin architect Jürgen Mayer Hermann received as part of the Mies van der Rohe Award 2003 in a "special recognition". For the overall concept of the new district Ostfildern won the German Urban Development Prize 2006. Museum of Modern Art in New York has taken the plans of the settlement in his collection.

On newer buildings inaugurated in 1995, the Körschtalviadukt is also worth mentioning that crosses the valley of the Körsch during the bypass of Nellingen.

The American artist Sol LeWitt built in 1992 between the places Ostfildern part white brick walls: four groups with one to four walls. They are the coalescence of the (then ) symbolize four districts. In Ruit be found in the population partly controversial sculptures on the local outputs direction Kemnat ( Koordinaten48.7363589.238516 ) and Scharnhausen ( Koordinaten48.722029.257479 ). The other two are in Nellingen ( Koordinaten48.7126069.290603 ) and Scharnhausen ( Koordinaten48.7064159.239246 ).


There are several sports clubs in Ostfildern of national importance, including the TV Nellingen, the TB Ruit and TSV Scharnhausen.

Regular events

  • Mai: Nellinger Maitreff
  • August: Since 2003, the international fireworks festival Flaming Star takes place in Ostfildern. Every year in August come the world's best pyrotechnician with their musical fireworks against each other. The three-day festival offers an extensive program and annually attracts thousands of visitors.
  • October Ruiter Kirbe, Kemnater Kirbe and Nellinger Kirbe
  • December: Christmas markets in Nellingen (since 1981), Ruit (since 1985) and Scharnhausen (since 1996)

Economy and infrastructure


In the south of the urban area, the Federal Highway 8 Stuttgart -Ulm passes. About the Esslingen junction of the city is directly connected.

Located southwest of Ostfildern is the airport of Stuttgart, whose start and runway lies in the east to a small extent on Scharnhauser district.

Since 2000, Ostfildern has a rail connection to Stuttgart. The U7 Stuttgart trams (SSB ) leads from the station Mönchfeld the main railway station and television tower through the neighborhoods Ruit and Scharnhauser Park to Nellingen. Monday to Friday runs three times in the hour 6-20 clock, the line U8 via Stuttgart - Vaihingen Bahnhof Möhringen up. Furthermore, there are four bus routes within the urban area of the END Transport Company ( 119, 120, 122, 131) and two of the SSB ( 35, 73) that serve the public transport (PT ). All lines are to be used at uniform prices within the Transport and Tariff Association Stuttgart ( VVS).

From 1926 to 1978 Nellingen was connected by tram Esslingen -Nellingen - Denkendorf with the district town by rail.

In Ostfildern there are seven stations that are served by the following lines of the Stadtbahn Stuttgart:

  • U7 Mönchfeld - Central Station - Ruhbank / TV Tower - Heumaden - Ostfildern
  • U8 Vaihingen - Möhringen - Degerloch - Ruhbank / TV Tower - Heumaden - Ostfildern


About the day's events Ostfilderns report as newspapers Eslinger newspaper Stuttgarter Zeitung and Stuttgarter Nachrichten.

Established businesses

Economic importance has Ostfildern especially as printing and publishing center. Since the 1960s, the economy Ostfildern has become a focus of the printing and publishing industry in the region. Well-known companies such as Baedeker Verlag, Jan Thorbecke Verlag, MairDumont -Verlag ( with Falk -Verlag), Schwabenverlag, publishing German printer, J.Fink Media Group ( Cantz'sche with Dr. printing and Hatje Cantz Verlag), Mercury pressure Mayer have their headquarters in Ostfildern.

To the large companies in the printing industry, has a " cluster " located innovative firms in the media industry. Many of them have joined together in the Mediafaktur Filderstadt, which was founded here Innovation and Excellence in Media of the Stuttgart Region. The Print and Media Association Baden -Württemberg and the educational work of the printing industry have their headquarters in Ostfildern.

With the software manufacturer agorum Software GmbH, a company in the IT industry is based in Ostfildern. The company develops and distributes the open-source document management system " Agorum core".

In addition, the mechanical engineering in Ostfildern, as a strong presence in the region. As an example, the Gehring GmbH & Co. KG or Schopf Maschinenbau GmbH, a manufacturer of special vehicles for aviation ( eg aircraft tractors ), to name a mining and tunneling. From automation technology, Pilz GmbH & Co. KG is a resident. In Ostfildern was until 2006 with Klein and Hummel is one of the leading companies resident for upscale studio equipment.

Similarly, the metrology industry is a leader in the region. Novotechnik, with headquarters in Ostfildern is leading the way in the development of measurement technology.

Since 2003, the German Automobil Treuhand (DAT ) in Scharnhauser Park District resident.

Sports School Ruit

The Sports School, founded in 1948 under the name Youth and Sports School of Leaders Ruit, today officially sports and youth leaders school Nellingen / Ruit is called, is a center for competitive and elite sport, for training and talent development. It has special significance for the national and international football. Numerous foreign national teams, the German U15 and U21 national teams as well as Bundesliga teams perform in the sports school training camp. The school 's national training center in trampoline, a branch of the National Training Center Stuttgart and State Training Centre for boxing. It serves as a training center for elite sport in weightlifting, basketball, volleyball, beach volleyball, football, archery, badminton and other sports. The offer also includes a talented gymnast school, a teachers center and training courses to acquire the football coaching license.

On the 16.5 -acre, park -like grounds, numerous sports halls and outdoor facilities are ( grass courts, artificial turf, mini-pitch ), various seminar rooms and four guest houses with over 110 single and double rooms. The sports and youth leaders school collaborates among others with the German Olympic Sports Confederation, the German Football Association and the Foreign Office. With 43,000 overnight stays per year, it is one of the largest Schools of Germany.


In Ostfildern, there are two high schools ( Heinrich -Heine- and Otto -Hahn -Gymnasium ), a junior high school ( Riegelhofschule Realschule Nellingen ), two primary and secondary schools with Werkrealschule ( Erich - Kästner-Schule Nellingen and school in the park Scharnhauser Park), a Special Education ( Lindenschule Parksiedlung ) and primary schools in the districts Nellingen ( cloister school and Riegelhofschule primary school ), Parksiedlung ( Linde school), Ruit ( Schiller School and Justinus - Kerner - school), Kemnat ( Pfingstweide school) and Scharnhausen ( Wasen fields school).

With the GARP on a big -company training center has its headquarters in Ruit, the seat of the Technical Academy Esslingen is in Nellingen.

Supply and disposal

Ostfildern draws its drinking water from Stadtwerke Esslingen, the Filderstadt water supply and EnBW, which are in turn supplied by the Lake Constance Water Supply. To clean the waste water, the city operates a wastewater treatment plant in Körschtal at Nellingen; Kemnater the wastewater treatment plant of Plieningen is supplied, which is located on Kemnater district.



38 years after its founding, the city of Ostfildern in 2013 was awarded for the first time an honorary citizen. Before 1975 was of two districts - the then still were independent communities - a total of three times awarded the honorary citizenship:

Sons and daughters of the town

To 1975 ( founding of the city / town )

Since 1975