Othmarsingen (Swiss German: Otmisinge, ɔtmɪʓiŋ ː ə ) is a municipality in the district of Lenzburg in the canton of Aargau. It is located in the lower Bünztal, almost three kilometers east of the district municipal seat.
The village is located in a small valley on both sides of the straightened Bünz and is surrounded on three sides by forest. There are two residential projects, the village center on the west bank and the area around the station. At the southeastern edge of the municipality is the village Steinhofgründe. In the east, the " mountain ", an offshoot of the Wagenrain, which forms the natural border with the Reuss valley rises. Northwest of the village center flows the Bünz through an incision a flat terminal moraine that has emerged towards the end of the Ice Age, during the retreat of the Reuss glacier.
The area of the municipality is 471 hectares, of which 192 hectares are forested and built over 115 hectares. The highest point is located on 542 meters on the " mountain ", the deepest at 385 meters at the Bünz.
Neighboring municipalities are Brunegg in the north, Mägenwil in the northeast, Hägglingen in the east, in the southeast Dottikon, Hendschiken in the south, Lenzburg in the southwest and Möriken -Wildegg in the West.
Individual findings point to a settlement during the Neolithic and the Bronze Age. During Roman times, was located just beyond the western boundary of the municipality a bigger settlement ( vicus ) with a large theaters. In the 5th and 6th centuries, here the Alamanni up operations. The first mention of Otewizzingin place in the year 1184th The village name comes from the Old High German Otwizingun and means " among the people of Otwiz ". At the latest in 1306 the village was in the territory of the Habsburgs. The lower courts was first owned by the lords of Rupperswil and arrived after their extinction on the Hallwyler. After the construction of a chapel in 1371, the village was divided into ecclesiastical matters almost five hundred years, from the parishes Staufberg (later Lenzburg ) and BANGALORE.
1415 conquered the Swiss Aargau; Othmarsingen now belonged to the subject territory of Berne, the so-called Bernese Aargau. The village was situated on the border with the outdoor offices and the county Baden. After several changes of ownership, the city of Bern took over in 1484, the lower sovereign rights and Othmarsingen was chief town of a district court in the Official Lenzburg. 1528 resulted in the Bernese the Reformation. During the Peasants' War (1653) and the Second Villmerger War ( 1712) Othmarsingen was devastated by troops passing through. From 1767 wrong stagecoaches on the upgraded military road from Bern to Zurich. In March 1798, the French took the Switzerland one, the disempowered " Gracious gentlemen " of Bern and proclaimed the Helvetic Republic. Othmar singing since then is the canton of Aargau.
On September 6, 1877, the railway line Zofingen Wettingen the National Railway was opened with a station in Othmarsingen. The bankruptcy of this company in the following year made the community hard, as she had financially heavily involved. For decades, the debt had to be paid off. On June 1, 1882 Aargauische Southern Railway opened the line Hendschiken - Othmarsingen -Brugg. Was the economic events initially dominated by agriculture, several industrial enterprises settled after the turn of the century. In 1968 the army motor vehicle park of the Swiss Army on operations.
The Othmarsingerstrasse church was built in 1675 under the supervision of the Bernese architect Abraham Dünz. The building has the shape of an elongated dodecagon; 1895 a steeple was added on the north side. Worth seeing are the carved choir stalls, the baroque pulpit and the stained glass on the windows. On the right bank of the Bünz is the built in 1550 Old Mill, a late Gothic gabled building. On the left is the Bünzufer Urechhaus, a three -storied residential house, built by Carl Ahasuerus of Sinner.
Coat of arms
The blazon of the municipal coat of arms is: ". Azure, black grooved white bridge with red roofed white church " The coat of arms, which first appeared in 1811 on the municipal seal, makes reference to an existing 1675-1895 chapel, which was part of a bridge over the Bünz. As of 1915, the church and the bridge arch on the coat of arms were drawn perspektivistisch, but this is contrary to the heraldic rules. In 2002 the return to older, correct version.
On December 31, 2013 2595 people lived in Othmarsingen, the proportion of foreigners was 25.2 %. At the 2000 census, 45.7 % were reformed. 30.8 % Roman Catholic, 6.4% Muslim and 2.9 % Christian Orthodox; 1.2% belonged to other faiths. 84.4 % identified German as their main language, each 2.1% Italian and Turkish, 1, 8% Albanian, Serbo-Croatian 1.6%, 0.7% each English, French and Portuguese.
Politics and Law
The Assembly of the voters, the municipal assembly, shall exercise the legislative power. Executive authority is the five-member council. His term of office is four years and he was elected in Majorzverfahren ( majority voting procedure) by the people. He leads and represents the community. To this end, he implements the decisions of the municipal assembly and the tasks that were assigned to him by the cantonal and federal.
For litigation, the District Court has jurisdiction Lenzburg. At the local level there is a justice of the peace, who is also responsible for the communities BANGALORE, Brunegg, Dintikon, Holder Bank and Möriken -Wildegg.
In Othmarsingen there according to census of 2008, around 950 jobs, of which 3% in agriculture, 27 % in industry and 70 % in the service sector. Is known of the army motor vehicle parking Othmarsingen, which was expanded into a logistics center in the Swiss army. Another major employer is the confectionery and pharmaceutical companies Disch AG. Most workers are commuters and work in the larger towns in the environment or in the greater Zurich area.
Othmarsingen has excellent transport links. Northeast of the village center intersect the main roads Wohlensee Brugg and Lenzburg -Baden. In addition to this crossroads the connection Mägenwil is the A1 motorway, the connection Lenzburg is located west of the village. The Brugg connecting the A3 is six kilometers away. When Othmarsingen mainline railway station, two major railway lines, the east-west main line Bern- Zurich and the route Basel- Brugg- Arth- Goldau, which is mainly for freight of meaning intersect. Here hold the line S3 S-Bahn Zurich ( Zurich, Aarau- Wetzikon ) and regional trains to Brugg and Baden - Wohlensee Muri. A bus company region Lenzburg Lenzburg leads to the train station.
On 18 July 1982, near the train station a serious railway accident when a freight train collided with a happening night express Dortmund- Rimini. In this case, six people were killed and about a hundred injured.
The municipality has three kindergartens and two school houses in which the primary school, secondary school and secondary school are taught. The school district can be visited in Lenzburg. The nearest Canton schools (Gymnasium ) is located in Aarau and Wohlen.
- Sophie Hammerli -Marti (1868-1942), dialect poet
- Hans Dubs (1923-2005), federal judge