Ouyen is a small town in the north- west of the Australian state of Victoria. It is located 100 km south of Mildura and 441 km north- west of Melbourne at the junction of the Calder Highway ( A79 ) and the Mallee Highway ( B12). The small town is part of the Local Government Area Mildura Rural City and at the 2006 census 1,061 inhabitants were counted.
The area was originally inhabited by the Aboriginesstamm Wergaia. The city's name is to be derived from Wergaia word Wuya - Wuya. Some scientists say this would mean pink ears duck, others say it hot ghost waterhole.
The town grew around the railway station, which was built in 1906 on the railway line to Mildura. A post office opened on October 22, 1907., Where this railway line crosses the West rail line that runs parallel to the Mallee Highway. The West rail line is currently in poor condition and is only for the transport of grain from the silos in the small settlements between Ouyen and the border with South Australia. The section in Victoria has broad gauge, while the railway line from Pinnaroo after Tailem Bend has already been converted to standard gauge. There are no facilities for Umspuren the car. This railway line was originally a freight route between the states. The Overland also took advantage of the broad gauge track, while the main route from Melbourne to Adelaide was converted (via Border Town ) in 1995 on standard gauge.
Land was sold in 1910 to private individuals, most of which have been cut down and used as a sheep pasture and for the cultivation of wheat and oats.
Today Ouyen is the economic center of cereal farming in the area. During the harvest the grain by truck to the port is brought to Portland, where it is loaded onto ships or ground.
In the city some formerly independent places was incorporated, including:
- Galah (15 km west of the city on the Mallee Highway, Post Office from 1911 to 1976, when the railway arrived)
- Galah North (west of the city, post office from 1925 to 1927 )
- Tiega (west of the city, post office from 1911 to 1961 )
- Timberoo and Timberoo South ( south of the town ( post office from 1913 to 1933 ) )
- Wymlet ( north of the city, post office from 1912 to 1963 )
- Trinita ( north of the city, post office from 1925 to 1936 )
- Kiamal ( north of the city, post office from 1917 to 1980 )
- Cramerton ( north of the city, post office from 1924 to 1969 )
- Boulka ( south of town, post office from 1921)
- Bronzewing ( south of town, post office from 1921 to 1967 )
- Nunga ( south of town, post office from 1914 to 1967 )
- Gypsum Siding ( south of town, post office from 1922 to 1940 )
- Boorongie and Boorongie North ( south of town )
Ouyen has an Australian football team called Ouyen United, from the two teams Ouyen Rovers ( Kiamal, Tiega ) and TGP ( Tempy, Gorya, Patchewollock ) has emerged and plays in the Mallee Football League.
Golfers play at the course of Ouyen Golf Club at the Dacian Street.
Since 1998, the Great Australian Vanilleschnittchen Competition will be held in Ouyen.
The city also hosts the Autumn Art Show in April and the Mallee Wildflower Festival was held in October. There in 2003 of Ouyen Rain Dance was performed where 500 women naked in a secret location danced, so it should rain after a long drought.
In the town is the Big Mallee Root. Mallee roots were once important as firewood for the former soldiers who settled in Ouyen.
On the second Sunday in February, jades year residents and former residents meet in the Fitzroy Gardens in Melbourne.
The Australian folk-rock band Weddings Parties Anything mentioned Ouyen in her song Hungry Years (1987 ) on their Dubut album Scorn of the Women. ' Hungry Years ' describes itinerant harvest workers on their way to Mildura.