Paarl to Cape Town is the largest industrial city in the South African province of Western Cape. 2011 Paarl had 112 045 inhabitants. The town lies about 50 kilometers northeast of Cape Town and was officially founded in 1690. As early as 1687 the first farms originated in the valley of the Berg River; In the following years, too, settled here from France displaced Huguenots. For these and other French farms the South African wine industry, whose center is still in the area around Paarl and Stellenbosch emerged. In addition to other wineries KWV has ( Vereniging van Zuid - Kooperatieve Wijnbouwers Africa beperkt ), one of the largest wine cooperatives, headquartered in Paarl. Other well-known wineries from Paarl are Backsberg Estate, Boland Kelder, Nederburg and Simonsvlei.
As in 1860 the railway line from Cape Town reached the town, Paarl was already known throughout the Cape Colony for his outstanding wheelwright. Today, especially fruit is grown and processed in addition to wine.
The name Paarl means " pearl" and goes back to the first white man who reached the place. When Abraham Gabbema on October 22, 1657 reached the valley, the sight of a large granite ridge surprised him on the ridge on the western edge. This hill was wet from rain or dew and glistened in the morning sun like a pearl - hence the name. Today, the name of this 728 -meter-high mountain Paarl Mountain and is a national monument since 1963.
The city's name is treated separately in Afrikaans: the Afrikaans equivalent of the Dutch Paarl is Perel. When we talk of the town of Paarl, as they say in Afrikaans, the Perel, but the spelling of Paarl is maintained. This applies only to Afrikaans, in English the name is pronounced according to the notation.
Paarl played a major role in the development of Afrikaans. ( " Community of real Afrikaner " German ) founded with the aim to establish Afrikaans as a written language Here the Genootskap van Excited African was on 14 August 1875. The cooperative was from 15 January 1876, the first magazine in Afrikaans out, at first only a month, and later weekly. This first newspaper was replaced in 1905 by today's local newspaper Paarl Post. The Afrikaanse Patriot was printed in the manor house of Gideon Malherbe, one of the founders of the Genotskap; since August 14, 1975 is there on the first floor, the Afrikaans Language Museum, also known as Gideon Malherbe Museum. The ground floor of the farmhouse is original as the time of Malherbe established, who lived here from 1860 to 1921.