Los Angeles County
Palmdale is a city with 152 622 inhabitants (as of 2009) in the northern part of Los Angeles County in the U.S. state of California, United States. The metropolitan area has a size of 272.2 km ². The city is located in the semi-desert Antelope Valley and is separated by the mountain range of the San Gabriel Mountains from the metropolis of Los Angeles.
Palmdale was founded in 1886 by German and Swiss settlers under the name Palm valley. In 1962, Palmdale got city rights. The city has excellent transport links through the Antelope Valley Freeway to Los Angeles and Reno, Nevada, and through the State Highways 18 and 138, and several express and freeways. In Palmdale also to hold in the future features of the planned California high-speed network.
To improve the medical care of the growing city was 2010, the Palmdale Regional Medical Center, a hospital of the regional supply opened.
Palmdale refers to itself as the aerospace capital of the United States. This is justified by the fact that here the research, development, final assembly, testing and modification of many well-known projects of the aerospace occurred. Much of this activity takes place on the U.S. Air Force Plant 42 Here, the stealth bomber Northrop was November 22, 1988 first introduced B-2. Since the late 1980s on the site of the system 10, the Lockheed Advanced Development Projects Unit (also known as Skunk Works) home.
Palmdale is one of the 25 fastest growing cities in the U.S., 1980, the city had barely 12,000 inhabitants. Palmdale is the largest desert city in California.
Palm valley was founded in 1886 by settlers from the American Midwest German and Swiss descent. They kept the locally common plant Joshua Yucca for palm trees, and so the settlement was named accordingly. According to David L. Durham Joshua trees are called yucca palms, and that was the reason for the designation. The town was officially founded on June 17, 1888.
The first newspaper of Palmdale, Palmdale, the post was published in 1915. 1921 was the first significant link between the city and Los Angeles, the Mint Canyon / Lancaster Road, later designated as U.S. Route 6. Today this road is known as Sierra Highway. In 1924, the Harold Reservoir, today Palmdale Lake was created. Until the outbreak of the Second World War, agriculture was the largest sector in Palmdale. As early as 1933 had established 10 km north of Lancaster, the Muroc Air Base (now known as Edwards Air Force Base ), the U.S. government. In 1957, the first High School of Palmdale, Palmdale High School was founded. 1964, the Antelope Valley Freeway was completed as a link between Palmdale and Los Angeles. In 1977, the first municipal building, the Palmdale City Library was built. In 1980, the city had 12,227 inhabitants.
A university medical center, the Palmdale Regional Medical Center, was completed in 2010.
- Lockheed Martin 3,700
- Northrop Grumman 2,100
- Antelope Valley Mall 1,800
- Palmdale School District 1,792
- Wal- Mart 1,242
- Antelope Valley Union High School District 1,116
- Boeing 850
- Westside Union School District 587
- Los Angeles County 500
- Keppel Union School District 364
- City of Palmdale 280
- U.S. Pole 267
- Lowe's 252
- Anderson Barrows 221
- Antelope Valley Press 220
- Kaiser Permanente 200
- Sam 's Club 194
- Delta Scientific 175
- Symvionics 160
- Home Depot 129
- Best Buy 150
- Wells Fargo 75
Sons and daughters of the town
- Afroman, rapper
- Ron Hornaday Jr., racers
- Zoot Horn Rollo, guitarist
- Paul George, basketball player for the Indiana Pacers
The following companies have their headquarters in the city:
- Delta Scientific
- Murphy Switch Company
- Red Brick Pizza
- Senior Systems Technology
- U.S. Pole & Lighting
- Poncitlán Mexico, Jalisco, Mexico ( 1998)