The settlement Pangnirtung ( Panniqtuuq ), "place of Karibubullen ", has about 1,400 inhabitants (of which 95 % Inuit ) and is situated in the southeastern part of Baffin Island ( Nunavut region Qikiqtaaluuk ) on a narrow coastal strip on Pangnirtung Fiord, a north-trending tributary the Cumberland Sound ( Tinnujivik ), against a craggy, approximately 800 m high mountain panorama. The town has scheduled flight ( First Air ).
1894 came the Anglican Reverend James Peck in the region and built on Black Lead Iceland ( Ummanagjuaq ) on the south coast of Cumberland Sound, a first mission station. He gave the Inuit and the syllable spelling ( " syllabic system" ) for Inuktitut, the Inuit language; the system spread from here throughout the Canadian north-east. 1921 was a trading post of the Hudson's Bay Company, 1923, the first item of the Canadian Police ( RCMP ); In 1929, the Medically Assisted St. Luke's Mission Hospital was established. 1956, the Canadian government sent the first teachers to Pangnirtung and established in 1962 a local government one.
In 1973 in Pangnirtung with the " Uqqurmiut Centre for Arts and Crafts ," the youngest-ever Center for Art graphics ( stencil prints) and woven tapestries of the Canadian North. An important artists can be mentioned among others: Akulukjuk Malaya (1912-1995), Elisapee Ishulutaq (* 1925), Annie Kilabuk (* 1932), Tommy Nuvaqirq ( 1911-1982 ), Lypa Pitsiulak ( b. 1943 ), Andrew Qappik ( * 1964).
It is known Pangnirtung well as the southern starting point for touring the Auyuittuq National Park and the embarking point for boat trips to nearby on the north coast of Cumberland Sound Kekerten Historic Park, where relics of the operated 1840-1920 whaling station on Kekerten Iceland ( Qikiqtan ) can be visited.
Pangnirtung: Building for the production of Inuit art graphics
View from Pangnirtung on the same fjord towards Aujuittuq National Park ( southwest side )