Paray -le- Monial is a city in eastern France, in the Burgundy region in the department of Saône -et -Loire. Paray -le- Monial has 9094 inhabitants (as of 1 January 2011) and covers an area of about 25 km2. The city lies on the Ship Canal Canal du Centre, as well as the parallel flow Bourbince.
Paray -le- Monial is known above all by the Priory Church of the Sacred Heart. There is now the seat of the Catholic movement Emmanuel Community.
- 3.1 municipality of Paray- le -Monial
- 3.2 Sacré -Coeur
- The Sacré- Coeur
- Tour Saint -Nicolas in the 16th century
- The town hall from the 16th century
- The Hiéron Museum from the 19th century (which was recently renovated)
- The theater of the 19th century
- The museum Paul Charnoz ( Ceramics Museum )
The monastery was founded in 973 by Count Lambert of Chalon was 999 assumed by the Bishop of Auxerre to the monastery of Cluny. As a result of the annexation, the first monastery church ( Paray I) 1004 was inaugurated, but which, in spite of the expansion through the installation of a vestibule ( Paray II) before 1050, already between about 1090 and 1130 Abbot Hugh of Cluny by a new building ( Paray III) was replaced, which has been preserved until today. This new building was leaning in its design significantly to only a few years earlier, begun church of Cluny; it came to designing the frequently found surname Klein- Cluny.
Since the late 19th century is Paray -le- Monial, with its church one of the most visited places of pilgrimage in France. The pilgrimages refer to the Sacred Heart devotion, triggered by the visions of Marguerite -Marie Alacoque in the second half of the 17th century.
The still existing church is a basilica with dreijochigem main house and einschiffigem transept, two small west towers and a large central tower. The church has a total length of 63.5 m (including the vestibule and the eastern radial chapel ) and a width of 22.35 m (without transept ). The transept interacts with its 40.50 m against the almost square nave (length: 22 m to the crossing ) overproportioned. The central nave of the main building has a height of 22 m, including the Vierungsturmes the total height of the church 56 m.
The choir is held in accordance with the model in Cluny as ambulatory with radiating chapels, wherein starting from the chapels, over the choir aisle to the choir itself increases the overall height. This results in the external view of the church Ostbaus an impressive staggering of building mass.
Also striking is the almost complete lack of architectural sculpture, both on the tympanum as well as on the capitals of the columns.