Life and work
Lovens is a self-taught musician and played since he was 14 years old, in bands, first of different jazz styles. In 1969, he focused on the free play. Since 1970, he continuously plays in a trio with Alexander von Schlippenbach ( piano) and Evan Parker ( saxophone) and the Globe Unity Orchestra. In particular, in small groups, he continues to cooperate with numerous musicians of the relevant European Free music scene, but was also a member of the Berlin Contemporary Jazz Orchestra. He belonged to the core formation of the VARIO- projects by Günter Christmann. With Rüdiger Carl, Hans Reichel and Shelley Hirsch, he formed the band September. He aroused in 2000, also in duet with the Chicago dating Ken Vandermark stir.
In 1976 he founded with Paul Lytton 's own record label Po Torch, was released on the to 1993 ( including three duo albums of the two drummers ). Paul Lovens lives in Aachen and nickel village.
Disco Graphical Notes
- Evan Parker / Paul Rutherford / Dave Holland / Paul Lovens The Ericle of Dolphi (1976/1983)
- Heiner Goebbels / Paul Lovens: There is UHU in the country ( JAPO, 1980)
- Cecil Taylor / Paul Lovens Regalia (1988 )
- Mats Gustafsson / Paul Lovens Nothing to Read ( 1990/91 )
- Alexander Schlippenbach Broomriding (2002) with Rudi Mahall, Tristan Honsinger
- Wolf Kampmann Reclams Jazz Encyclopedia Stuttgart 2003, ISBN 3-15-010528-5
- Martin Kunzler, Jazz Encyclopedia Vol 2 Reinbek 2002 ISBN 3-499-16513-9