Peabody Museum of Natural History
The Peabody Museum of Natural History is a natural history museums at Yale University in New Haven (170 Whitney Avenue). The museum is also research institute with a great tradition, for example, in paleontology.
It was in 1866 due to a foundation of the banker and entrepreneur George Peabody ( 1795-1869 ) and was opened in 1876 to the public. But were Integrates the already existing collections of Yale University, the decline partly to the 18th century. The first director was the famous paleontologist Othniel Charles Marsh, the nephew of Peabody, was also in 1866 a professor of paleontology at Yale was collected ( the first such chair in the U.S.) and in particular dinosaur fossils. Next to him were George Jarvis Brush (mineralogy ) and Addison Emery Verrill (Zoology ) curators. 1917 to 1924 it was temporarily closed because it had to make way for a new residential building for students and moved.
Director is currently Derek Briggs, Curator of Paleontology invertebrates.
In the dinosaur hall ( Great Hall, inaugurated in 1925 ) include the skeleton of an Apatosaurus (1931 installed), which still comes from the collection of Marsh, and to see the a Deinonychus. In addition, it hosts the large mural by Rudolph Franz Zallinger (1919-1995) The age of reptiles, which is 35 m long and about 5 feet high, was completed in 1947 and 350 million years of geological displays. The fresco coined decades, the popular scientific notion of dinosaurs and was also immortalized on a postage stamp. Zailinger was awarded a Pulitzer Fellowship. Another fresco of Zailinger The age of mammals is located in the mammal hall. An exhibition is the History of Man ( The riddle of human origin ) dedicated and there are exhibits and dioramas of local wildlife from Connecticut ( like a hall Birds of Connecticut with 722 specimens from 300 species ) as well as an extensive collection of minerals, up to the Yale Professor Benjamin Silliman back.
It has also an ethnological ( North American Indians ) and a Egyptological collection.
In 1959, the Bingham Laboratory was opened in 1963 and the Kline Geology Laboratory. The museum also has a research station on Long Iceland sound.
There is yet another donated by Peabody Museum, the Peabody Museum of Archaeology and Ethnology at Harvard University.