The Peace Palace ( Peace Palace ) is a 1913 finished construction in neo-Renaissance style at the Carnegie Plein in a park in the northern Dutch city of The Hague. The building is home to the International Court of Justice, the Permanent Court of Arbitration, the Hague Academy of International Law and a major international law library, and is a popular tourist destination. In the visitor center of the Peace Palace features a permanent exhibition on the history of the peace movement and the residents of the Peace Palace institutions.
The establishment of the Peace Palace took place in the context of numerous peace movements that were active in Europe and America in the late 19th century. From the Hague Peace Conferences 1899 and 1907 the Court of Arbitration emerged in The Hague, who later took his seat in the Peace Palace. The power of peace movements dwindled, however, and one year after the opening ceremony of the Peace Palace broke the First World War.
Architecture and Architectural History
The complex of red brick was built 1907-1913 in neo-Renaissance style, the building was mostly from the U.S. businessman and patron Andrew Carnegie ( 1835-1919 ) funded by the architect Louis M. Cordonnier was the Frenchman ( 1854-1940 ). The building was opened in an official ceremony on 28 August 1913 in the presence Carnegie and the royal family.
The architectural style of the arcade- rich, reminiscent of one hall building building shows obvious classical and Gothic influences, and thus resembles the also donated by the Carnegie Museum buildings, and universities in the United States.
Adjoining the facade with its steep roof beside the 80 -meter-high belfry of, one of the landmarks of The Hague.
For the rich interior countries have contributed from around the world. The marble for the corridors and the large staircase in the foyer is from Italy, the wood for the wall panels from Brazil and the U.S. and the wrought iron fences from Germany.
For the windows on the ground floor Delft lead glass was used for the walls Delft tiles.
The accumulation of these to be extremely valuable individual elements sometimes acts eclectic, the monumental Byzantine -looking entrance hall with its gold chandeliers, the rosette decorated floor and the white marble staircase.
In addition to the historic brick building belongs to the complex another building, which houses an international conference center and the new library of the Academy of International Law. The building was also built on the basis of the historic main building of brick, however, the facade of stainless steel shingles own contrast represents the buildings were built between 2003 and 2007 to a design by the architect Michael Wilford and Manuel Schupp.
The Peace Palace in miniature in Madurodam