Pearyland is a peninsula in northern Greenland, which lies between the Victoria Fjord in the north- west and the Independence Fjord in the south east. The Peninsula extends northward into the Arctic Ocean, or in the parts that Lincolnsee in the west and the wall Staffelsee in the east. The Victoria Fjord separates the Pearyland from southwest Wulff neighboring country.
Pearyland is named after the polar explorer Robert Edwin Peary and is only about 750 km south of the North Pole. Your most northerly point, Cape Morris Jesup, is the northernmost point of Greenland's mainland. Off the coast are the islands Kaffeklubben Island and Oodaaq located further north.
Originally Pearyland was considered an island because it was assumed a connection between the Victoria Fjord and Independence Fjord, the so-called Peary Channel.
Landscape and Climate
The Frederick E. Hyde Fjord with a length of 150 km in the east of Pearyland divides the area into the northern and southern Pearyland, but is only one of many fjords that lie along the coast, including the J. - P. Koch Fjord in the south west. The entire area measures about 200 km from north to south and 375 km from east to west direction and occupies an area of 57,000 km ². It is not covered by the Greenland ice sheet. In the western part of Pearyland there are several ice caps, of which up to 600 m thick Hans- thousands - ice cap is the largest. The land is mountainous and reaches heights of up to 1,950 m in the mountains of Roosevelt Fjelde and HH Benedict Bjerge.
The eastern and northern Pearyland is mostly ice-free and thus the northernmost ice-free land in the world. During the last glacial period, it was not covered by glaciers. With little precipitation ( from 25 to 200 mm of snow a year) is Pearyland a cold desert, are covered by only about 5 % of a few plant species. Nevertheless, species like the polar bear or the arctic wolf survive in this climate.
The area north of the Independence Fjord, particularly the favorable climate Wandeltal, shows many traces of human habitation from 2400 BC AD to the 15th century BC The southern Pearyland is the distribution center of two pre- Dorset cultures, according to the fjord named Independence I and Independence II cultures.
By 1300 even the North Pearylandes and the rest of the north coast of Greenland by representatives of the Thule culture was settled. As a result of climatic deterioration these people have migrated within 200 years in southern coastal areas of Greenland or the extinct Nordostgrönländer as 1850, Pearyland has since been uninhabited.
In Pearyland two Arctic research stations on Jørgen - Brønlund Fjord, Brønlundhus (1948 built ) and Cape Harald Moltke are (1972 built ). Both stations were built on the initiative of Eigil Knuth, and were the starting point for many scientific expeditions. The station Cape Harald Moltke was later built using a natural airfield east of the mouth of Jørgen - Brønlund Fjord in the Independence Fjord. The stations are 10 km away from each other. Brønlundhus is on the western side of Jørgen - Brønlund Fjord, and the connection between the two stations is maintained in summer by boats, except as permitted by the ice conditions ( mid-July to end of August). Since the death of Eigil Knuth's the stations of the Pearyland Foundation are managed. Today Brønlundhus can be regarded as a museum, with a collection of objects of various polar expeditions.
In the northeast of Pearyland, the citric Fjord, 1993 extensive zinc and lead deposits were discovered. They are considered the most productive yet unsubsidized zinc deposits in the world, the promotion is being prepared.