Pelguranna ( to German refuge beach ) is a district (Estonian asum ) of the Estonian capital Tallinn. It is located in Põhja -Tallinn District ( "North -Tallinn "). To the west it borders on the Bay of Kopli ( Kopli Laht ).
Description and History
The municipality has 15,207 inhabitants (as of 1 May 2010).
In the 18th century the area consisted of meadows and pastures for the Tallinn population and larger patches of forest. There, hidden and dubious characters and criminals, where the name of the area touched.
The construction of the railway line between Tallinn and the Baltic Sea port of Paldiski (1869 /70) settled industrial plants in Pelguranna. Workers' dwellings were built. Especially the Baltic cotton factory, founded in 1899 ( Balti Puuvilla Ketramise yes Kudumise Vabrik ), one of the largest textile mills of that time in the Baltic States, attracted many workers in the area.
Initially developed simple houses made of wood. In the interwar period newer, modern residential complexes of cooperative apartment granny Kolde were added. She let 1923-1926 eight -storey apartment buildings built in massive construction. The architect Herbert Johanson and Eugen Habermann oriented themselves among other things on the model Dresden Hellerau.
In the fall of 1923, the theater was inaugurated in Säde Pelguranna. It was one of the leading silent film cinemas in the city. From 1927 commanded the light to play house Ilo, 1930 Lux, before it ceased its operation.
In the early 1930s originated in Pelguranna the prayer house of Seventh- day Adventists. The building was confiscated during the Soviet occupation of Estonia by the Red Army. Today it houses the Cultural District.
The later houses of the district were mainly, during the Soviet occupation of Estonia established from the 1950s. The majority of them originated in the 1960s in bricks. Most of these houses are five stories. In addition there are also high-rise buildings with nine or fourteen storeys. The district has retained its green character in spite of everything. The school for the deaf with recognized Estonian sign language and hearing impaired can be seen there.
At the Pelguranna popular among the Tallinn population sandy beach Stroomi belongs edge on the shore of the Baltic Sea. He is called by the Russian-speaking population Stromka.