Template: Infobox Municipio / Maintenance / Administration Name is empty
Template: Infobox Municipio / maintenance / management address is empty
Template: Infobox Municipio / Maintenance / county council is empty
Template: Infobox city in Portugal / Maintenance / card is empty
Template: Infobox city in Portugal / Maintenance / Height is empty Template: Infobox city in Portugal / Maintenance / Postal Code is empty Template: Infobox city in Portugal / Maintenance / Mayor is filled
Template: Infobox city in Portugal / maintenance / road is empty
Template: Infobox city in Portugal / maintenance / management location is empty Template: Infobox city in Portugal / Maintenance / Web page is blank Penacova is a Vila ( town ) and a circle ( concelho ) in Portugal with 3293 inhabitants (as at 30 June 2011).
For the first time officially mentioned was the place in the year 911, as Vila Cova. 1036, under Arab rule, the attachment already as Castelo de Penacova is (English: Castle of Penacova ) known. During the Reconquista Penacova was conquered for the first time in 1192 and received city rights ( Foral ) by the now independent Kingdom of Portugal.
King Manuel I renewed 1513 city rights. In 1605 Penacova was an independent county. In the years 1855 and 1898, the county has been significantly expanded by incorporations.
Culture and sights
Many religious buildings and some wind mills, mansions and historic public buildings are listed buildings, including the 878, first mentioned and up to its baroque reconstruction in the 18th century expanded many times, monastery Mosteiro de Lorvão in which various queens are buried. In the monastery, which now resides in part to a psychiatric hospital, a museum with diverse exhibits of religious art is furnished.
The historical center of Penacova is a listed building.
Towards the Serra do Buçaco back is decorated in a building to a former windmill around, the Museu do Moinho Vitorino Nemésio (English: Museum of the mill Vitorino Nemésio ). Furnished on two floors, and a café and a picnic parking, it traces the history of wind and water mills in general, and the local variations in particular.
Penacova is the administrative seat of the homonymous district. The neighboring districts are (clockwise starting from the north ): Mortágua, Santa Comba Dão, Tábua, Arganil, Vila Nova de Poiares, Coimbra and Mealhada.
The following parishes ( freguesias ) lying in circle Penacova:
- Figueira de Lorvão
- Oliveira do Mondego
- São Paio de Mondego
- São Pedro de Alva
- Sazes do Lorvão
- Travanca do Mondego
- France France: Pont -Saint -Esprit ( since 1999)
In addition to some river fishing and agriculture, which is limited by the naturally acidic soils, forestry is of great importance. The circle is covered for 70% of the forest, especially eucalyptus, maritime pine and acacia. An industrial plants are to be mentioned next to the wood processing enterprises in the construction industry in particular, the bottled sparkling water Caldas de Penacova, and the traditional brick Estrela D' Alva Cerâmica.
Sons and daughters
- Lourenço de Santa Maria e Melo (1704-1783), Archbishop of Goa and later the Algarve
- António José de Almeida (1866-1929), physician and politician, President of Portugal
- José Alberto Carvalho ( born 1967), journalist and newscaster