Peter Salovey (born 1958 ) is an American social psychologist. Fame he owes his research in the field of emotional intelligence. Together with John D. Mayer Salovey has developed this concept in the 1990s. Were popularized Mayers and Daniel Goleman Saloveys insights 1995 book EQ. Emotional Intelligence.
Life and work
Salovey has studied at Stanford University psychology and sociology, and in 1986 received his doctorate psychology in the tray. Since then, he teaches and conducts research at Yale University. His fields of interest are the feelings and the health behavior of the people. Among his outstanding achievements include the co-development of the Mayer- Salovey - Caruso Emotional Intelligence Test ( MSCEIT ), a scientific instrument with which emotional intelligence can be measured similar to the linguistic and mathematical- logical intelligence. In addition, Salovey is, inter alia, to examine the question how efficient health education about cancer and HIV / AIDS. Salovey is the recipient of several academic awards, in 2013 he was elected a member of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences.
- With John D. Mayer and Maria DiPaolo: Perceiving affective content in ambiguous visual stimuli: A component of emotional intelligence. In: Journal of Personality Assessment. Volume 54, 1990, pp. 772-781.
- With John D. Mayer: The intelligence of emotional intelligence. In: Intelligence. Volume 17, Issue 4, 1993, pp. 433-442.
- With John D. Mayer: Emotional intelligence and the construction and regulation of feelings. In: Applied and Preventive Psychology. Volume 4, 1995, pp. 197-208.
- With John D. Mayer, Susan L. Goldman, Carolyn Turvay and Tibor P. Palfai: Emotional attention, clarity, and repair: Exploring emotional intelligence using the Trait Meta - Mood Scale. In: JW Pennebaker (Ed.): Emotion, disclosure, and health. American Psychological Association, Washington, DC 1995, pp. 125-154.
- With John D. Mayer: What is emotional intelligence? In: Peter Salovey, D. Sluyter (Eds. ) Emotional Development and Emotional Intelligence: Implications for Educators. Basic Books, New York 1997, pp. 3-31.
- Jefferson A. Singer: The Remembered Self: Emotion and Memory in Personality. Free Press, 1993, ISBN 0-02-901581-2.
- The Intelligent Emotions, Brenzel, 1994
- Lisa Feldman Barrett with (eds.): The Wisdom in Feeling: Psychological Processes in Emotional Intelligence. The Guilford Press, 2002, ISBN 1-57230-785-4.
- Alexander J. Rothman (eds.): Social Psychology of Health: Key Readings. Psychology Press, 2003, ISBN 1-84169-017-1.
- David R. Caruso: The Emotionally Intelligent Manager: How to Develop and Use the Four Key Emotional Skills of Leadership. Jossey -Bass, 2004, ISBN 0-7879-7071-9.